• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopting an additional bunny

Siegmeyer

Young Bun
Hi everyone :)

I am Zoe and I currently have two Netherland Dwarfs who have been neutered. I've had Nibs and Thumper for about five months now and I had been thinking of adopting a slightly larger breed like a lop, but it put me off because I would have to change my set up and expand it out as needed. I did meet an extremely friendly mixed breed rabbit today called Minx and he is absolutely lovely. His owners gave him up because they thought he was a girl and I really want him, but from his size I think he is part giant as he is very big.

I really need some advise because I don't want to upset Nibs and Thumper by introducing a very large new friend to them as if they don't get along my rabbits could get hurt very easily due to the size difference. In addition my rabbits live in the garden and the rabbit I may adopt was kept indoors, I don't know if this will effect anything. I also don't want Minx to try and mount Thumper and Nibs as he isn't yet neutered. I just wondered whether Minx being a different breed/ size would prevent him from bonding with Thumps and Nib Nibs? Is there anything else I should probably consider before adopting him?

Thank you for your time
Zoe

Are your 2 Netherlands both boys? The dfference in breed shouldn't stop them getting along, it's more down to personalities. I think you will be very lucky to get 3 boys to live happily together but it's not impossible. Also, if the new rabbit has been a house rabbit you will really need to have him indoors until the weather warms up, Could you not have 2 pairs, all mine are in pairs and they stay happy for ever really.

Thank you! That is a pretty good idea and one that I hadn't thought of. I am still mulling over the decision to adopt Minx, but just having a brand new set up sounds great and it wouldn't upset my exiting pair as well :) If I adopt him should I adopt a female to keep him company? Also should I wait till Minx is neutered and settled in before adopting him a friend?

Yeah my Netherlands are both boys, they're from the same litter so I've not had much trouble with them not getting along :)

What type of rabbits do you keep? :) 🐰🐰

Thank you again!

Back