• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits eat apple cores????

AmberUK

Alpha Buck
I know the pips are posionious so surely feeding the core is a bit of a risk esp if you don't say to watch out for the pips?

Yes I would have thought so too Amber. Personally, I don't give my buns apple core, only the actual fleshy bits that I would eat.

We always take the pips out of apples, and don't worry too much about cores because Branwen doesn't seem to like it, so she always eats around it.

I know someone who has continental giants and his rabbits have whole apples regularly and have never come to any harm. val

I think the reason behind the warning is that apple pips contain cyanide (or something that turns into it on digestion). However I don't know what levels they contain, what levels are dangerous or how fast it breaks down.

The pips also taste bitter so its quite possible that a rabbit would nibble at an apple and ignore the pips.

I feed apple cores, but take out the pips.

Tam

Back