• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elijah ... stasis OOH vets, rattly chest

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Elijah refused treats at 6pm yesterday evening and looked sad. He's been out of sorts for a few weeks but moulting like crazy so I've been blaming that. I've kept a close eye on him and he's been happily accepting cuddles and sympathy. I've started to worry a little bit more this past week and was pondering over popping him to the vets, well the stasis made that decision for me and he was admitted at 23.10 last night. His blood glucose was 13 and he felt a bit gassy but the x-ray wasn't alarming. But it seems that was secondary as the news this morning is that he's been put on antibiotics as his chest is rattly. I feel a bit rubbish for not realising there was something else going on, my instinct should have told me. Poor 'Lijah. He looked so sad last night, I just want to give him a big cuddle. :cry:

Edit to add: He's still not eating so they are keeping him in until he's eating and established on his antibiotics. The nurse will be nipping out for some flat leaf parsley for him (they have another patient who will not eat any greens other than coriander so needs to do a herb shop anyway!)

Last edited:
Elijah refused treats at 6pm yesterday evening and looked sad. He's been out of sorts for a few weeks but moulting like crazy so I've been blaming that. I've kept a close eye on him and he's been happily accepting cuddles and sympathy. I've started to worry a little bit more this past week and was pondering over popping him to the vets, well the stasis made that decision for me and he was admitted at 23.10 last night. His blood glucose was 13 and he felt a bit gassy but the x-ray wasn't alarming. But it seems that was secondary as the news this morning is that he's been put on antibiotics as his chest is rattly. I feel a bit rubbish for not realising there was something else going on, my instinct should have told me. Poor 'Lijah. He looked so sad last night, I just want to give him a big cuddle. :cry:

Edit to add: He's still not eating so they are keeping him in until he's eating and established on his antibiotics. The nurse will be nipping out for some flat leaf parsley for him (they have another patient who will not eat any greens other than coriander so needs to do a herb shop anyway!)

Really sorry to hear this :(

You have a rough time with your bunnies x

Oh no, on top of every thing else you really don't need this :cry: I hope the abx kick in quickly and that Elijah will soon feel a lot better xx

Oh no :cry: I hope he is feeling better soon, sending lots of vibes for him and hugs for you xx

So my message re the x-ray was that his lungs 'aren't too bad' ?? No further information. I think that's supposed to reassure me but it just gave me more questions and worries. They wanted to keep him in again tonight. I don't know which vet has been taking care of him today, I had hoped for a more detailed message/conversation re the need to x-ray and the findings. I suppose that will come in due course but as I took him in for what I assumed was a routine bellyache I'm obviously stressing. They are probably working on the assumption that I will know if they are leaving messages then they are not unduly worried but after Gracie's sudden demise I don't think I'll ever be calm about 'not much information' again. I've no doubt they are taking good care of him, I'm just somebody who needs to know the far end of everything!:oops:

So my message re the x-ray was that his lungs 'aren't too bad' ?? No further information. I think that's supposed to reassure me but it just gave me more questions and worries. They wanted to keep him in again tonight. I don't know which vet has been taking care of him today, I had hoped for a more detailed message/conversation re the need to x-ray and the findings. I suppose that will come in due course but as I took him in for what I assumed was a routine bellyache I'm obviously stressing. They are probably working on the assumption that I will know if they are leaving messages then they are not unduly worried but after Gracie's sudden demise I don't think I'll ever be calm about 'not much information' again. I've no doubt they are taking good care of him, I'm just somebody who needs to know the far end of everything!:oops:

I'm the same. I probably drive C up the wall with all my questions :oops: I hope that the next contact will be more forthcoming with specifics. Sending lots more vibes for Elijah :love:

Back