• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weird smell

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
I was having a cuddle with Sylar a few weeks ago and I noticed that he smelt weird. It was an odd smell, almost chemically. Maybe a bit like how hospitals smell?!
I've got a really sensitive sense of smell anyway so I just put it down to that and forgot all about it but tonight I've smelt it again :/
He has been on quite a lot of meds over the last few months so could it be related to that? Has anyone e!we experienced this? I've tried doing a google search but came up empty!

Strange,I've never encountered this. He can't be getting into anything I don't suppose e.g. cleaning supplies? Or maybe something he lays on has a weird smell? Or his pee smells extra ammonia like right now? (if he got pee on him and then it dried) Dunno...

Nope! He lives upstairs and all the cleaning stuff lives downstairs and the smell seems to be strongest on his back/sides.
Weird isn't it?! I thought that I was imagining it the first time.

Does it smell a bit farmyard sweet ?

I don't think so but when my o/h got home from work I asked if he could smell it too and he said that yes there was a smell but that to him it smelt 'farm yardy' so I guess it could do yes!
To me it smells like hospitals!

I don't think so but when my o/h got home from work I asked if he could smell it too and he said that yes there was a smell but that to him it smelt 'farm yardy' so I guess it could do yes!
To me it smells like hospitals!

What abx was Sy on for his chest infection, was it Sulphatrim/Septrin/Co-trimoxazole ? If so did he have any tummy episodes when he was on the abx ?

I know what you mean. I posted about it briefly on bisc's health thread. I also would liken it to hospital chemical/cleaner, like tcp or antiseptic. It was hard to explain but I am the same and have a very strong sense of smell x

I was having a cuddle with Sylar a few weeks ago and I noticed that he smelt weird. It was an odd smell, almost chemically. Maybe a bit like how hospitals smell?!
I've got a really sensitive sense of smell anyway so I just put it down to that and forgot all about it but tonight I've smelt it again :/
He has been on quite a lot of meds over the last few months so could it be related to that? Has anyone e!we experienced this? I've tried doing a google search but came up empty!

Hi Roxy

I have a very sensitive sense of smell as well, and sometimes the drugs that an animal/human is on can make a smell as you've described. I can also smell in a room where a person 'lives' if they take medication ... if that makes sense.

It could be that you're picking up on the meds he's taking.

How is he today? x

What abx was Sy on for his chest infection, was it Sulphatrim/Septrin/Co-trimoxazole ? If so did he have any tummy episodes when he was on the abx ?

He was on Marbocyl but he finished his antibiotics on Christmas day so I didn't think that it could be that. He didn't have any tummy episodes but he was on Zantac, Emeprid and Cisapride at the same time.

He was on Marbocyl but he finished his antibiotics on Christmas day so I didn't think that it could be that. He didn't have any tummy episodes but he was on Zantac, Emeprid and Cisapride at the same time.

I asked as the 'sweet farmyard' smell is a feature of a Rabbit with a heavy coccidia burden. Given Sy's gut problems I wondered if Molly had ruled out any coccidia involvement ? The abx I mentioned would treat coccidiosis, reducing the burden.

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. I thought that I was losing it! I've checked and none of the other buns have the same smell.
He seems ok today so far but I'm keeping a close eye on him. I bet he can't wait for me to go back to work :lol:

I asked as the 'sweet farmyard' smell is a feature of a Rabbit with a heavy coccidia burden. Given Sy's gut problems I wondered if Molly had ruled out any coccidia involvement ? The abx I mentioned would treat coccidiosis, reducing the burden.

That's very interesting. She didn't mention anything but I will do my own research and ask my vet too. How would it be ruled out? X

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. I thought that I was losing it! I've checked and none of the other buns have the same smell.
He seems ok today so far but I'm keeping a close eye on him. I bet he can't wait for me to go back to work :lol:

:lol:

I bet he's glad really that you're such an attentive bunny mum xx

If it's a sweet, peardrop type smell could it be liver related?

I suppose it could be but he's had full bloods, xrays, a ct and an ultrasound so I think that something would have shown up... But who knows because he still isn't right. I'm missing something somewhere.

Thanks Jane, I'll give them a read :)

Back