• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Panicky bunny mum!

Pip&Milo

Warren Scout
Following on from Rory & Milo's fight earlier Rory has been behaving rather strangely. We noticed her thumping dramatically so went to investigate. She had a clump of hay in her mouth and was ripping fur from her body frantically! I panciked massively and investigated further only to find that at some point today she appears to have made a nest in her litter tray. The clumps of fur are ENORMOUS! I'm surprised she has any fur left on her body! While investigating she was still pulling at the fur on her body and then jumped into her litter tray and pulled masses of fur and hay from her mouth into her little nest. Shes now sitting there guarding it. After researching I'm assuming this is a phantom pregnancy (Milo is neutered)
So I have a few questions
1. Am I right in assuming phantom pregnancy?
2. Is there any chance Milo's neuter was unsuccesful (I don't want to be caught unawares with baby bunnies)
3. Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable in this situation?
4. Should I continue swapping their homes or leave her settled where her nest is? (I've been swapping so that neither rabbit feels more dominant)

1: If you're absolutly sure your male was neutered, at least 2 1/2 months ago, that would be a good guess. Since males can be fertile up to 6 weeks after neutering.
2: see above, can't tell about any personal experience with neutering,
3: Give her lots of hay, keep the male away for the time being. Don't disturb or relocate her. Then,, when this frenzy is over - get her spayed.
4:What? The most important thing for rabbits is that they are familiar with their surroundings, who's domonint is not influenced by where they are, but their characters. Swapping quarters has imho no point, it's just stressing them out. Not a good idea. Leave her with the nest.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. 1. He was neitered over a hear ago so no fear these.
4. They were together until theor fight. Since their fight i put in a pen to ensure they couldn't hurt each other. Its in the same room and thsy can see each other. Its not really relocating but swapping them so its not always the same one in the pen. But thanls for the advice ill keep her in there now

Also we have tried to have her spayed on two occasions but the vet has been unwilling to go aheaad both times. Sbes due to be done next week

Some does especially unspayed get rather hormonal. Hopefully she will stop doing this when she has been neutered. I would keep her in the cage with the nest for now.

Back