• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ranitidine syrup - ingredient question?

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
So I was given this to substitute for the famotidine that I was originally giving Fiver for his stomach to be protected from his metacam dose. I asked for this to be special ordered since it's supposed to be minty flavoured. (He was not keen on the liver flavoured one.)
I got this humongous bottle though, (a whole pint!), and from the label outside I have no idea if it has anything like xylitol in it...it seems to only have the rantitidine mentioned as an ingredient. Does anyone know if it also contains sugars? The vet seemed to have no clue. :?

I think the maker is Lannett and the strength is 15 mg/ml. It does say it's alcohol free, so I would assume that means alcoholic sugars as well. Oh, and the dosage is 1-2 times a day, as opposed to the once per day of famotidine.

Any thoughts? TIA! :wave:

Thanks Jerz :wave: I owe you an email, btw, I promise I'll get on it soon. :)
Funny, it does have acesulfame potassium. :? I swear I cannot take anything with that stuff in, it gives me the most uncomfortable head rush and drops my blood sugar. :( I hope it's not something we've got to worry about for Fiver. Although I doubt the vet would prescribe it without knowing if it causes harm, they often get things wrong at this office. I've seen the results personally. :(

We actually discussed this issue some years ago at BB. I found the post in a google search. About whether to give bunnies who aren't well hydrated something like Pedialyte, but then found Ace-K in the ingredients. I don't think it was ever determined if it was safe or not. :?

Yes, I avoid human oral rehydration type products for the rabbits now. I get an animal one called Lectade which is pretty simple in its formula.

I suppose this particular med is sweetened because it a human med. Probably not necessary for animals. As to flavouring, I don't think bunnies mind the peppermint but I had to give it to a dog recently and he wasn't too impressed.

I wonder what alternatives could be used to protect the stomach? Pectin perhaps? Ranitidine alkalises so care has to be taken how much how often they can have that also. But without, the metacam has it's own risks so it's a bit of a balancing act, isn't it?! Maybe ranitadine passes through the rabbit gut faster then our own and is less likely to upset the pH? One would hope.

Ragarding your reaction to acesulfame potassium, I just read this blurb
Acesulfame K stimulates insulin secretion in a dose dependent fashion thereby possibly aggravating reactive hypoglycemia ("low blood sugar attacks"). www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-sweeteners.html

Last edited:
Back