• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for a tree / bush / plant / climber

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
its for my back yard where our wall meets neighbours. There is already a small flowerbed area to use but it'd be really close to their buildings & our house so we;d need something with a confined root system (maybe something you could bury in container?). I'd like it to be bunny safe . Something trainable would probably work too (existing wall quite low & I expect Boo could jump it no problem so will have to add something. Something they wouldnt annialate in seconds? And that wouldnt cost the earth to buy relatively established?

Am I asking too much ? Any ideas?

I had a climbing rose at other house, which the buns loved munching on. It would grow in a large enough pot if you wanted it to and I don't think the root system is huge. It would climb up a trellis quite easily - I made mine from old bamboo canes and baling twine.

Last edited:
I had a climbing rose at other house, which the buns loved munching on. It would grow in a large enough pot if you wanted it to and I don't think the root system is huge. It would climb up a trellis quite easily - I made mine from old bamboo canes and baling twine.

That's a great idea. They love rose

A rambling or climbing rose would fit the bill. Even if it gets chewed, it will regrow next season. They do have quite a small root system so are easily containerised,
Thornless brambles can look nice - some have quite lacey leaves and pretty flowers - and totally bunny safe. I can send you a cutting if you PM me - they root very easily.
Nasturtiums can be planted from seed around now for a display this year.

Hi, I would still protect the base as my buns ate both my clematis and climbing rose at the bottom. Both had taken a while to really grow and so I was very cross (mostly with myself for thinking the bushes would withstand bunny nibbling!).

A rambling or climbing rose would fit the bill. Even if it gets chewed, it will regrow next season. They do have quite a small root system so are easily containerised,
Thornless brambles can look nice - some have quite lacey leaves and pretty flowers - and totally bunny safe. I can send you a cutting if you PM me - they root very easily.
Nasturtiums can be planted from seed around now for a display this year.

Ohh exciting. Nasturtiums would be good for some pots I have (currently homing a bottle brush plant & rhodedendron but once I build a flowerbed those will get transferred. I know they aren't bunny safe but the bunnies have never touched them & yard time will have to be 100% supervised). Its a beautiful day so I may take a walk to the garden centre. I'd love to take you up on your kind offer of thornless brambles - I'll P.M. - Thank You

Hi, I would still protect the base as my buns ate both my clematis and climbing rose at the bottom. Both had taken a while to really grow and so I was very cross (mostly with myself for thinking the bushes would withstand bunny nibbling!).

Yep - you're right. I'll get some wire for the base of anything tasty. Thanks

this is our little back yard (not showing the bit I need the rose for). At least it'll be easy to get them in :lol:

IMG_4285_zpsmlwdvofe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
We'll build a flowerbed on the back wall. The abstesos shed is already full of wood for the burners - we'll replace the roof & have a little living garden on top (obviously not for the buns). We'll get hanging baskets & planters at variable heights so we can change what they can access & allow for some growth. I want to build some rabbit activity stuff in there. They love chilling in the dirt under a bush in the shade - the rhodedendron might allow that.

Any ideas welcome.

I'll second that, two of my climbers were completely chewed off at the base last autumn and I don't know if they'll regrow at all. My plan this year is to make circular wire cages to surround their pots - I like the green plastic covered wire mesh as it looks less obvious.
Good luck with the garden, it's so exciting having a blank canvas to work with.

Meant to say that sunny wall would look fabulous with one or more fan trained or espalier fruit trees growing up it.

I'll second that, two of my climbers were completely chewed off at the base last autumn and I don't know if they'll regrow at all. My plan this year is to make circular wire cages to surround their pots - I like the green plastic covered wire mesh as it looks less obvious.
Good luck with the garden, it's so exciting having a blank canvas to work with.

I made circular wire cages from chicken wire to protect my most expensive plants!

However, Louie made a leap at one of them, completely bending the wire, and enjoyed a lovely feast :lol:

Maybe use the stronger small gauge wire!

I made circular wire cages from chicken wire to protect my most expensive plants!

However, Louie made a leap at one of them, completely bending the wire, and enjoyed a lovely feast :lol:

Maybe use the stronger small gauge wire!

will do. Cheeky Louie :love:

Back