• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay & bins

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
I live in a small house now & not happy about the amount of bins I have crowding the front of the house or my back yard, esp now I have a massive green garden one for rabbit hay & poo. Our council offers a swap service (280 litre bins can be swapped for 140 ltre bins) & they do just collect stuff (piles of cardboard, stray black bin liners, plastic recycling in whatever container you choose).

So I was thinking of swapping the general waste for a half size which would allow it to sit alongside the big green bin. I could then put a willow screen in front of them so they didn't look too unsightly & cos they'd be smaller they wouldn't be visible from lounge window. The brown bin (recycle) I reckon could be replaced by a plastic storage box. Now the council won't remove a bin but I was thinking it would actually be quite handy to keep my hay bale in. My hay is kept in the bunny cupboard but it does get everywhere & ventures out on to the kitchen floor so containing it would be a positive move.

Current brown bin is the 280 litre but if I swapped it for 140 do you reckon I'd get a bale in there? I'm also hoping the swap would result in a new fresh bin & not climbing inside existing bin to scrub it clean

Sorry for extremely boring post!

A standard (2 string farm) bale of hay will just fit in a 240 litre wheely bin. Bales vary a bit in size. Sometimes one bale will only just go in, sometimes I can get about another couple of slices of hay in. I use a few wheely bins for hay bales - mainly new ones the neighbours didn't want before we had to recycle and had fortnightly waste collections.

I know bins can get in the way and are very functional looking, but I find it easier and neater than having many different containers and much more convenient to deal with eg in wind and wet weather. The council next to us uses all sorts of bags and boxes for weekly collections. They end up flying all over the place on collection day and all the recycling is soggy.

The 140 litre bins are not really that much smaller in terms of visual space taken up. There are some nice stickers or screening you can use. Fake grass used as screening could work. With something like trellis, you can grow plants up and over the bin enclosure.

Hope this helps.

I live in a small house now & not happy about the amount of bins I have crowding the front of the house or my back yard, esp now I have a massive green garden one for rabbit hay & poo. Our council offers a swap service (280 litre bins can be swapped for 140 ltre bins) & they do just collect stuff (piles of cardboard, stray black bin liners, plastic recycling in whatever container you choose).

So I was thinking of swapping the general waste for a half size which would allow it to sit alongside the big green bin. I could then put a willow screen in front of them so they didn't look too unsightly & cos they'd be smaller they wouldn't be visible from lounge window. The brown bin (recycle) I reckon could be replaced by a plastic storage box. Now the council won't remove a bin but I was thinking it would actually be quite handy to keep my hay bale in. My hay is kept in the bunny cupboard but it does get everywhere & ventures out on to the kitchen floor so containing it would be a positive move.

Current brown bin is the 280 litre but if I swapped it for 140 do you reckon I'd get a bale in there? I'm also hoping the swap would result in a new fresh bin & not climbing inside existing bin to scrub it clean

Sorry for extremely boring post!

It would depend whether it was your 10kg bale, or a full size farm bale. I put a full size bale into a 280 wheelie bin. I must say it is incredibly useful.

Perhaps you could decorate it with the grass lino? :lol:

Massively helpful - thank you both. I'm glad I checked in as I really thought the small bin would have fit a bale in.

My brown bin options now

1) go to half size & store in the back yard (bonus of keeping access to our right of way) & it'd only need emptying once a month
2) got to half size & store at front of house
3) sterilise big existing bin & keep their cheapo hay outside. Does it get enough air & stay dry in the bin?

I like the idea of covering bins in stuff. Maybe for the bunny waste one I shall do something arty & creative- like bunny silhouette stencils. I suppose I'd have to keep a fair bit of green showing so as not to confuse the bin men. Off to google sticky back plastic options too:lol: (MM I only have a strip of grass lino & have plans to relocate it to bunny store cupboard & back porch. I'm strangely attached to it :lol:

afterthought - if kept hay bale in out the back I could still get right of way access by wheeling the bin to the front to load hay from the car:thumb:

PS Anything particular I should clean the bin out with?

Back