• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay nets

Dollymix

Young Bun
So I've been thinking, I have a hay rack (diy) but think a hay bet would work somewhat better , I've heard and researched the handy hay net and you can get them in the size tiny and small , small is Best for rabbits , and the guide also says 1" whole for rabbits, so they wouldn't get there head stuck , I also know that some rabbits might eat the net ,
What do you guys think ?

I would be worried about a rabbit getting its paw stuck in a haynet, or eating it and it causing problems.

I definately would not have hay nets for rabbits for the reason Zoobec stated.

Mine have a magazine rack for their hay and three 32litre underbed storage boxes.

In the wild a rabbit would graze on grass mostly and maybe stretch up now and then to reach leaves etc. So I think it's best for bunnies to eat their hay from a floor position. Most of us put hay in the litter tray or you can buy hayracks like Daphnephoebe has. I quite like the one she has. If she's around she will put a photo of hers on for you.

Agree with Zoobec. I wouldn't use a haynet. Anything with rigid, unchewable mesh could be used - as long as bunny can't climb in and get legs / head caught. eg a hanging basket with a lid. You could also make a safer hay 'net' with chicken wire. Anything that gets them interested in eating more hay is good. Rabbits do like to reach up to eat, and it adds variety to their activities.

Back