• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much time do you spend

CrispyClaret

Warren Scout
Mainly a question for outdoor bunny keepers. How much time do you spend with your little friends? Before the weather got the better of me and the garden, I would probably spend an hour sitting with mine, cup of coffee, cigarette or ecig. It's one of the things making me desperate for Spring to sprung, i make do with leaning against the run and chatting to them. Naturally they don't chat back but at least they know I am there, unless it's just the threat of a snack attack that makes them happy to see me.

I'm ashamed to say I don't spend any real time with them. I feed them twice a day and clean them out every other day but in the winter that is all I do. I check to make sure they are all nomming and look healthy but don't check them over. I spent a lot more time with my buns when I had house bunnies in the kitchen.

They have each other and don't seem remotely bothered that I am not spending time with them as long as I keep supplying them with food, hay and water.

I do talk to them when I am feeding them and cleaning them out though - especially if one refuses to go to bed. Usually I clap my hands and say 'bedtime' and they hop into the hutch but occasionally I have a rebellious one who wants to stay up late. Telling the naughty rabbit that their supper is being eaten by the other two usually has the desired effect :)

In the summer I spend time in the yard planting and watering so I do see more of the rabbits then.

In winter - not much time

In summer I let them free range and sit and read a book quite a lot. They literally couldn't care less that I'm there though! They have each other :)

If I'm not cleaning out or spot checking, I generally pop out to see them a couple of times a day aside from feeding. Once or twice a week I spend time actively taking pictures of them for their Facebook page.

In summer, I spend much longer periods of time with them. When I'm not out foraging for them that is!

I'm retired and spend as much time as possible with my buns. I have two pairs outside, I let one pair out at a time, then pop in and out of the cellars. Washing machine and dryer and tortoise are in one cellar...plus hubby's workbench and tools. The other cellar houses the freezer, bicycles, bins of rabbit and parrot food, rabbit carriers, fleeces and towels. I do washing or clean bunnies out, while they're having a whale of a time running about and digging.
Indoors I've got parrots, canary and hamster and new bunny Bracken and tank of goldfish..
I've got hoovering up to do and recently I've been running around with a Prit stick trying to stick back the wallpaper Bracken has torn off the wall! I pop in and out to the garden so the buns can have a few hours out.
I don't know how I found the time to go to work.. We always had loads of pets. Now I can enjoy watching their enthusiasm.

I spend at least 4 hours a day outside, cleaning and feeding the bunnies. I visually check each one as I go round and get as many out as possible for exercise. I am not one to cuddle bunnies (they're glad!) but I can understand how therapeutic it can be. Most of them have a friend so that's nice for them.

I feed and water them and clean them out. I chat to them but don't spend much time with them. Like you I will hang out with them more in the warmer weather.

I let them out for supervised free range yesterday. It was wonderful. I nearly shouted out loud with delight!

Now I have bonded my 4 (yay still chuffed it worked) and they live in the shed together, I do see them more. I go out twice a day and as its under cover, it doesn't matter if it's raining or dark (I have put power and light in the large shed -bits also gonna be my gardening shed -buns have half of it). When they were in 2 hutches, I'd run outside, quickly feed and check them, and run in again in the winter. Summer is much easier.
Once the new high run is built, I can go in there as well so will get to see them more.
I think if you indoor bunnies it's easier to spend time with them, but my son is a bit allergic so I wouldn't risk it. I'm at work all day so I see them for longer mostly at weekends. But they have each other now and a lot of space!

I don't spend much time with them at all: I tend to spend every spare moment I have studying. OH spends about 15mins three times a day minimum feeding them and likes to stroke them then too :) If I;m clearing them out I'll often spend more time with them, so the 25min job becomes an hour easily :lol: And if there's something new happening like cats or roof works I go and sit with them.

I definitely spend a lot more time with my buns in spring/summer/autumn as I'm always in the garden and they are out with me - usually getting in the way and curious about what I'm planting but I'd have it no other way. In winter I used to run out to feed and check them twice a day and that's about it - though I used to check them through the window a lot. Now, after losing two of them this winter, my remaining two are currently living in the kitchen so I see them all the time which is lovely ��

Robin likes to go out in the garden for a couple of hours but apart from that he's with me most the day when I'm at home.

Mine have started to have free range garden time. It is quite wonderful being able to watch them through the large glass doors. So many binkies!

Back