• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning out after E.C. and can I ever have new bunnies?

orangediva

Mama Doe
For those who know my story Dennis and Bella continue to get on really well after both losing their bonded partners (one to E.C.) and being introduced to each other. They are both receiving preventive treatment (Panacur) and are currently living indoors where they have both really perked up since being put together. I'm keeping them indoors until at least April and will give them garden time during the day when it gets a bit warmer before they move back outside permanently but I'm not sure how to clean out their hutch/run combo to ensure it is safe for them? I have two set ups consisting of 6ft Welfare hutches with 24/7 tube access to covered walk in runs. The hutches are straightforward to clean but the runs less so - they are set up on what was grass and have mesh floors covered in wood chips (the type used for chickens) and hay/straw on top. My bunnies generally use litter trays but I scoop out any hay that's got damp or soiled weekly. Obviously I can scoop out all the old hay and wood chips to replace with new but how can I disinfect the runs? Although I'm loving having them indoors atm, their space is somewhat restricted as they both hate my laminate floor (I've put a carpet/rug area down for them in the kitchen and they won't venture off this) and they both seemed to thrive outside with a lot of space and free ranging time in my (packed with plants!) garden so I think they'd be happier outside after the winter. Might bring them in next winter though after the trauma of this year.

Also I will obviously have a spare set up - after the trauma of losing two rabbits within a few weeks I have no immediate plans to get any more but would perhaps like to at some point. Is it safe/fair of me to do this? E.C. is a horrible disease and after watching my Betty deteriorate in a matter of weeks, I'm reluctant to take on new buns if I'm risking their health in any way?

Last edited:
You shouln't need to disinfect the runs, just empty them of the old hay etc. Lots of rabbits carry EC but not many become ill with it, I had a female who became ill with EC after she was spayed, so was it the stress which brought it on? The boy she lived with never became ill. It sounds like you could give 2 more rabbits a lovely home and I see no reason why you shouldn't. I am pleased your 2 are happy together. It would be easier if the runs were slabbed.

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes I have considered slabbing or concreting the runs as it would be so much easier to keep them clean. I will take a look at the cost of doing that. Otherwise I'll get to grips with full/mega cleaning as soon as the weather perks up a bit. I have thrown away the old litter trays as I know it's carried/spread in urine but obviously Bella and Dennis have already been exposed. Happily they both seem ok, I'm just ecstatic they seem to be inseparable already as they've been through so much lately.

Yes you can have new bunnies :) EC is said to be carried by more domestic bunnies than not. I kind of assume mine will have come in to contact with it (I adopted Mouse as she was in the hard to rehome section for having head tilt & past positive EC test). Joey will have had contact with EC as Noodley had active infection. The most important thing in EC risk management (according to FHB ) is being sensitive too & anticipating stress then dosing with panacur (10 days) when doing long journeys, house moves, any major change your bun my not handle so well.

Are they still all loved up?

Yes you can have new bunnies :) EC is said to be carried by more domestic bunnies than not. I kind of assume mine will have come in to contact with it (I adopted Mouse as she was in the hard to rehome section for having head tilt & past positive EC test). Joey will have had contact with EC as Noodley had active infection. The most important thing in EC risk management (according to FHB ) is being sensitive too & anticipating stress then dosing with panacur (10 days) when doing long journeys, house moves, any major change your bun my not handle so well.

Are they still all loved up?

What's the rationale with just 10 days? Long enough to kill worms but not long enough to 'kill' EC ....

Right I have disinfected both hutches and bought new litter trays for them and I've cleaned one of the runs out and put new wood chips and straw down. I'll order some new toys and "furniture" for it when I get paid next week. Do I need to clean the hutches again as I'm sure I read you do it twice? Or is that just if infected bunnies with symptoms live in them? If I were to get any more bunnies should I be giving them Panacur immediately or would that be counter productive as it would surely be very stressful for them to be given medicine on top of moving to a new home?

On a totally different note I am seriously thinking about keeping Dennis and Bella as permanently indoor bunnies. They seem to have settled in incredibly well and both seem to be thriving indoors. I would need to expand their carpeted area in the kitchen as neither of them will walk on my laminate floor at all(!) but that does mean I don't need to buy a fancy enclosure for them. My friend has just had new beige carpets fitted and has given me some large off cuts which would do the job. I can just put a removable rug down giving them a path to the back door when I'm there to let them have garden time. I live on my own now my son is at uni and I love having them indoors with me. One of my younger cats loves to curl up and sleep next to them and the bunnies seem to like the extra attention from me so it seems like a no brainer!

I think I'm going to do just that. Dennis has had a run outside today, I left the back door open while I was in the garden and he came out to join me which was lovely. Bella hasn't managed it yet but I'm sure she will. It seems like the best of both worlds. I'm saving up to order them some Manor Pet Housing stuff to make their area permanent but I'm not getting them an enclosure.

Back