• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is it best to move elderly buns indoors in the winter???

moi

Mama Doe
I know we are approaching the warmer weather, but I was wondering if I should swap my Buns around in the summer and put Peggy and Tonic outside and bring Bunny and Benji inside? Bunny is approximatly 8 years old.

I know we are approaching the warmer weather, but I was wondering if I should swap my Buns around in the summer and put Peggy and Tonic outside and bring Bunny and Benji inside? Bunny is approximatly 8 years old.

IME older Rabbits do do better indoors. But there are many people who have older Rabbits who hate being indoors. I dont think it is a decision to be made just based on the Rabbit's age, but a decision made based on the individual needs of the Rabbit(s). If the Rabbits are healthy and their outdoor accommodation is adequately insulated, dry and plenty of warm bedding and hidey holes are provided then the Rabbits are likely to be fine in their usual environment.

To answer your question concisely, it depends on the individual Rabbit(s) !!

Thanks Jane. He seems to cope completly fine with the cold, I guess it is just me who worries xx

I don't think 8 is that old for a rabbit, but it really depends on the state of health, whether there's arthritis, or mobility issues.

If you've electric in your shed, or wherever you keep them, you can always make it cosy. I find elderly rabbits suffering from joint problems do much better indoors :D

Our older rabbits love it outside. It would be completely unfair to move them inside. I even feel guilty if I have to keep any of them in a stable temporarily. I am sure the natural environment outside is why we have so many really old rabbits. We have at least thirty who are over 8 and a growing number over ten. As long as they have plenty of hay and insulation on their hutch/shed there is no reason they shouldn't stay outside in this country. And I mean plenty of hay. I use a couple of slices off a bale per hutch and about 4 for each shed which goes in an insulated bedroom with its own double plexiglassed window so they will use it. They are not heated at all, and I don't use snugglesafes, they have fur coats and each other afterall.

They all come outside nearly every day, I do leave them in when it is pouring with rain as getting soaked is not a good thing at their age and it doesn't hurt their feet to have a dry day every so often either. The oldies are just as keen to forage and argue with the neighbours as the younger ones are.

Last edited:
I brought Elphie, who is 7, inside this winter because she's been frail all year. She's still as cheeky and full of it as always, but I worried about her. To be honest, I'll probably be keeping her and Selene in until they pass now. However, I do very much think it is a case by case basis to decide what is best for each Rabbit.

Thanks peeps... bunny is in good health with no problems.

I dont have electricity out there but the shed is well insulated (yay to the previous owners), I dont see the point in snugglesafes either as they do not stay warm to long. The buns do snuggle up together and always have unlimeted hay xx

Back