• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mishka has hurt her leg :(

Jeremy

Wise Old Thumper
Noticed it on Saturday, she was hopping around fine, but her hops seemed slightly strange somehow, like she had her back too low. :?
I am totally paranoid about fly strike, so we grabbed her and had a good look but could see nothing out the ordinary.

Sunday came and she seemed worse. Now she was definately favouring her right hind leg. When hopping over obstacles she would often knock her left leg against it as if she couldn't lift it, and occasionally I even saw her shift position slightly and collapse completely!! :shock:

We examined her carefully again, thinking she might have got something stuck in her hock (I have been doing a lot of DIYing outside so stuff everywhere). Nothing to be seen :?

After watching her some more we noticed that she couldn't scratch her left ear. She would lower her head to get into position but couldn't seem to lift her leg to scratch.

The vet was not open until today, so we just had to hope she was ok. She certainly didn't seem in any pain, and was still her old self - rushing around and even trying to hump the others. Luckily I had just finished the new bunny shed, but this has jumps to get up to the bedroom. So in the end we took their current hutch and cut the legs off, and put this in the new shed. This worked out well as it meant she didn't even have to jump up through the patio door.
Still really worried though, and I read about E.Cuniculi on rabbit.org which didn't exactly ease my mind (do you get this in this country?)

Anyway, just got back from the vet who gave her a good going over. No bones broken thank goodness, and the vet seemed pretty certain that she has twisted her lower spine and this has inflamed slightly, and cuts off the nerves to her left leg in certain positions. Treatment is basically a dose of anti-inflammatories, and as much rest as possible "some hope!"

On a lighter note, Sparkle has a much better report of health after being on Baytril for a week for her Pasturella, and it has pretty much totally cleared up. She is being kept on for another 7 days though to be safe.

I don't know - if it doesn't rain it pours! :cry:

EC is also in the UK from what I've read its usually general backend weakness rather than a specific leg though.

Anti-inflamitories and cage rest sound like a good idea, hopefully she'll be back to hopping in no time :D

Tam

Oh poor Mishka....sorry to hear about Peg-Leg, but it all sounds like a muscle sprain/strain to me....and I am not in the least concerned it is E-C or any other nasty... :D ..I am sure the anti-inflammatories and rest will do the trick, worrying at the time though isnt it. :?

:( Oh Jeremy and Caroline - Mishka and Sparkles Great Great Aunt here - I' m really sorry the girlies have been under the weather and giving their mum and dad worries.

Talk about Double Trouble eh! - and that Mishka was always a devilish loveable rouge of a bunny. She must be feeling slightly better if she's got humping on her mind - typical girlie eh - mind on all the important things :!:

Give them both a cuddle and hug and I hope they are both binkying around soon.

Hugs to you and Caroline - I know how worrying bunnies can be but I'm sure soon they will be up to their old tricks again.

bunnytales said:
:( Oh Jeremy and Caroline - Mishka and Sparkles Great Great Aunt here - I' m really sorry the girlies have been under the weather and giving their mum and dad worries.

Hi Lany,

Yes, they are little terrors and giving us lots to worry about just to keep us on our toes! :? But we still love them to bits and promise to be the best bunny parents we can to them. We gave them hugs from Auntie Lany but they weren't too keen! (it could have been because we gave Sparkle her Baytril at the same time! :lol: )

Hi Jeremy and Caroline - How are the girlies doin - are they still being little trouble makers or are they on the mend for their mum and dad! - Little minxes - just as well they have the lovely Flump to keep them in line eh!!
:wink:

bunnytales said:
Hi Jeremy and Caroline - How are the girlies doin - are they still being little trouble makers or are they on the mend for their mum and dad! - Little minxes - just as well they have the lovely Flump to keep them in line eh!!
:wink:

Hi Lany,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you! :oops: Work and everything else has gone a bit mad recently :shock:

Mishka seems to be on the mend thanks. She went back to the vet after 4 days and he seemed pleased with her progress. She is due back again after 10 days (next Monday) for a final checkup.

I finally finished the new hutch and run, so I was able to take their old hutch out of the shed, and move them into their new home properly. This was fine except I made the nicely insulated bedroom on the top floor, and with her poorly leg I didn't want her damaging it again trying to jump up.

So I spent that weekend fitting two more intermediate steps to the bedroom so she wouldn't have any trouble.

Flump and Sparkle soon got the idea and would zoom up the steps when it was feeding time, but Mishka would never go further than the top step for some reason :( I had to give her her food in the bottom section.

Anyway, when it started getting a colder at night I was a bit worried about her being cold, so two nights ago I put their large carrier inside the bottom section, and put some "bunny carpet" inside (Adele uses this).

Went down the next morning to find Mishka lying in the top bedroom eyeing me mishchieviously! :lol:
Since then she bounds up the stairs with the others at meal times, and I can hardly detect any limping now at all so she seems to be doing great. :D

Sparkle still has the odd sneeze but it is far more infrequent than it used to be, so I think she is stuck with it, and we will just have to treat her with Baytrill when it gets too bad. She is definately a lot better than a few weeks ago, and is still her naughty old self.

Flump takes all this in his stride as usual, and has immediately claimed the step in the hutch as his own so he can survey his harem as their lord and master! :lol: :lol:

[quote="Jeremy"

Flump takes all this in his stride as usual, and has immediately claimed the step in the hutch as his own so he can survey his harem as their lord and master! :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Huh sounds like a typical male to me!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am really pleased to hear that Mishka is nearly fully restored and likes the vet bed! Good news too that and Sparkle is recovering from the Pasturella.

:D

Adele said:
I am really pleased to hear that Mishka is nearly fully restored and likes the vet bed! :D

Hi Adele!

Ah! So this is the "Vet bed" that everyone is going on about. Well, they certainly seem to enjoy lying on it. Flump spends half his time lazing about inside the shed now rather than enjoying the sunshine outside :lol:

Jeremy said:
Ah! So this is the "Vet bed" that everyone is going on about. Well, they certainly seem to enjoy lying on it. Flump spends half his time lazing about inside the shed now rather than enjoying the sunshine outside :lol:

Oh no! and Jeremy there was me thinking that I was presenting you with a nice gift for the bunnies, and now I am responsible for turning them into lazy, lounge a bout bunnies. : :oops: ? ...thats it!! remove the Vet bed!! it sounds just a tad tooooo comfortable!!. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope you and Caroline are well, sorry we have not been in touch, been a tad tied up rabbitwise.
Lany is popping over tonight with Cagney and Buffy...as someone is going away this weekend for their BIRTHDAY treat :twisted: :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
And guess who got roped in to bunny sitting.... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adele said:
Jeremy said:
Hope you and Caroline are well, sorry we have not been in touch, been a tad tied up rabbitwise.
Lany is popping over tonight with Cagney and Buffy...as someone is going away this weekend for their BIRTHDAY treat :twisted: :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
And guess who got roped in to bunny sitting.... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Jeremy - soooooooo glad the girlies are doing better - what a bloke you are too doing all the work on their Dez Rez - Lucky Bunnies.

Adele you Minx -- I bet you didn't tell them I got to supply my own tea and biscuits - Cheeky Mare emailed me and asked me to bring my own along later ---- Whats she like eh!!
Over and Out

[quote="bunnytales"

Adele you Minx -- I bet you didn't tell them I got to supply my own tea and biscuits - Cheeky Mare emailed me and asked me to bring my own along later ---- Whats she like eh!!
Over and Out[/quote]

Oooh Lany.......okay I admit I forgot to mention that bit, but hey! we are just too busy rabbiting to go shopping.... :p ..what a shame :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :lol: :lol:
Poor David got Complan for dinner the other night too, as I was too rabbit occupied to cook :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Lany hope you have some chocolate biscuits and not boring fig rolls, mind you, Mr. Mistletoe likes a bit of fig roll every now and then.... :lol:..bet Flump would go for a bit of fig roll too Jeremy...better put fig rolls on your shopping list too!! :lol: :lol:

Back