• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear Infection

CHH

Warren Scout
We have an 8 1/2 year old bunster who has been fighting an ear infection for about 6 weeks now. She's on Baytril and Canaural and whilst there's a big improvement it's certainly not shifting it.

She's just beck from the vet having been knocked out and had her ear drained but 24hrs on there are still signs of white pus in her ear.

The vet suspects that they may end up referring her to the vet school in Edinburgh (**** Vet) who may operate. Can anyone tell me anything about this operation and the likely success rate?

Thanks.

We have an 8 1/2 year old bunster who has been fighting an ear infection for about 6 weeks now. She's on Baytril and Canaural and whilst there's a big improvement it's certainly not shifting it.

She's just beck from the vet having been knocked out and had her ear drained but 24hrs on there are still signs of white pus in her ear.

The vet suspects that they may end up referring her to the vet school in Edinburgh (**** Vet) who may operate. Can anyone tell me anything about this operation and the likely success rate?

Thanks.

Hello

I am sorry that your Bunny has an ear infection. They can certainly be a real challenge to treat. Has the Vet suggested using a different antibiotic ? Sometimes Baytril alone is not sufficient. An injectable Penicillin may be an option . That said, in some cases no abx will get ontop of the infection and surgery may be suggested. The surgery is aggressive and personally I would have to think long and hard about it. This link contains information about the surgery, the link includes GRAPHIC IMAGES

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/navc/2006/SAE/617.pdf?LA=1

More info here :

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

If a referral to The Royal D1ck is an option then I would definitely want that as if I agreed to the surgery I'd only want the best on the case.

Best wishes to your Bunny and to you xx

Thanks.

Hi there

I'm sorry to hear about your rabbit. It's a long and hard slog with an ear infection, unfortunately.

Baytril sometimes - but not always - hits the spot. Various people have had success with long term treatment with injectable penicillin - for example Duphapen or Duplucillin. By long term I mean a fair few weeks to give it a good trial to see whether it works in your rabbit's case.

I have known several people whose rabbits have had the operation you mentioned, and they have done very well. It's certainly a possibility, and a good thought it antibiotics aren't shifting it. I would certainly think about the vet school in Edinburgh, as that's a great place for surgery of this sort.

What are her main symptoms at the moment?

Hi
I've been through ear surgery with one of my buns and I do agree with Jane. The surgery is aggressive and it needs careful consideration. I would certainly want to try a different antibiotic first.
If you want to know about my experience with this sort of surgery then let me know :)
Xx

Thanks all. The vet has sent some of the pus to the lab to see what's in there and whether an alternative to Baytril will help.

As for symptoms, she seems perfectly fine except for the white pus that the vet can see when we go in (pretty much once a week at the moment) to see how she's doing. The biggest problem is that we're having to give her medication twice a day and she doesn't like it one bit, so she's very wary of us now and doesn't like us getting too close.

The potions have obviously helped but they're not clearing it up.

I got a call today from the vet with an update. The pus sample has come back as clear and she thinks that's because the antibiotics are kicking in. It would be good if the pus would stop though!

She's back on Monday for a check up so we'll see how icky it is in there then. The vet did think that it may never clear up but we might be able to cut the medication down to once every couple of days.

Back