• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi Vaccinations

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Hiya,

I am taking Evo for his myxi booster tomorrow. I know it's not an ideal time to take him, right in the middle of myxi season, but I got soooo worried about all the recent threads about vaccinated bunnies still catching the disease, I thought I'd better take him now, after 10 months rather that 12. I am definitely going to keep up 6 monthly boosters from now on, it's just not worth the risk.
I was just wondering when the optimum time of year for a myxi booster is, to have full effectiveness at the height of the season? And are bunnies any more suseptible to the disease in the days after vaccination?
Thanks,
Laura

Hi Laura, well if you have the vaccines twice yearly at 6 monthly intervals there is no optimum time..so no time like the present.
The Current RWA advice is that bunnies need vaccinating twice yearly in high risk areas, but I believe it may be prudent to get all bunnies vaccinated twice yearly in the current climate of myxomatosis problems.

We used to have our bunnies vaccinated once a year, usually March before the start of the Spring when flying insects and fleas are around more..gives the best protection over the Summer (insect ) months and into the Autumn (the other main risky time of Year).

I would get the bunnies vaccinated 6monthly against Myxomatosis and once against VHD. This applies to House Rabbits as much as rabbits kept outside, as fleas can still invade your home and bring disease in.

Hello my vet says optimum time is April/May, for similar reasons as Adele. These are the months when the flying insects all start to get active, however, the problem will be active throughout the winter months as well. The myxie vaccination is only viable for 9 months, after this time it loses its potency and protection, so every six is the best option for maximum protection. But, the vaccination is not 100% so other precautions against insects should be taken as well.

annie

Back