• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gizmo tear ducts problem

ANNASBUNNIES

Warren Scout
So Gizmo has had to go and have his eye clean under anaesthetic, he has blocked tear ducts but now has an infection and the crusty bits are so stuck on vets didn't want to pull them off and hurt him or cause him to much distress. I'm so worried for him. He is nearly 5 and has cataracts in both eyes.

Will try and add before and after photo to how it is now xx

Last edited:
So Gizmo has had to go and have his eye clean under anaesthetic, he has blocked tear ducts but now has an infection and the crusty bits are so stuck on vets didn't want to pull them off and hurt him or cause him to much distress. I'm so worried for him. He is nearly 5 and has cataracts in both eyes.

Will try and add before and after photo to now xx

Aww poor boy :(

Sounds like the vet has done a thorough job though?

Has he got antibiotic eye drops?

Ouch your poor bunny, that looks really sore. I would have suggested bathing it with warm water which we've done before, but the skin looks raw and sore so I don't know what would be best. Sure someone else will be able to advise you though. Hope he gets better soon x

Any tips on cleaning the crusty bits of the fur?

Can you clip the fur very close to the skin Anna?

The area needs to dry a little bit, so I would be reluctant to do very much at this end of the day other than clip the fur and crusty bits away.

Did the vet advise?

Yes I was thinking to clip it, I will try tomorrow, all the vet said was I need to make sure I get rid of the crusty bits with warm water xx

Yes I was thinking to clip it, I will try tomorrow, all the vet said was I need to make sure I get rid of the crusty bits with warm water xx

Well I would use a cotton wool bud dampened with warm water, and not a whole piece of cotton wool. Wetting the area too much will delay healing. The only thing to put on would be a small dab of manuka honey, but not if the skin is too sore and painful.

Back