• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Taking Lilly (of Fareham) to the Vets

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
There's something not right with her. She is eating etc but I can see she is not well.

Last edited:
Back from the Vets who gave her a good check. Tummy feels fine, temp is ok, she has a spur but it isn't causing any soreness, so she is on Metacam for 3 days and if she perks up she is obviously in pain somewhere, so we will go back. I do feel for the Vets. Lilly is very small, just under a kilogram. I am wondering if it is connected to the cold weather as I never thought to ask how long she had been outside at her previous home. I am a bit worried about her.

Back from the Vets who gave her a good check. Tummy feels fine, temp is ok, she has a spur but it isn't causing any soreness, so she is on Metacam for 3 days and if she perks up she is obviously in pain somewhere, so we will go back. I do feel for the Vets. Lilly is very small, just under a kilogram. I am wondering if it is connected to the cold weather as I never thought to ask how long she had been outside at her previous home. I am a bit worried about her.

Could you bring her into a cool part of the house so you can monitor her ? Is she fully vaccinated yet ?

Poor little Lilly :( I can understand your worry. For me, things become much more manageable once I know what the problem is.

Sending her lots of vibes.

Ah bless her, it would be good if you had space to bring her in, it would also be easier to keep an eye on her. I guess it's hard to tell if she has a winter coat or not. I know I couldn't tell. Doughnut is fluffy but guess she would be a lot fluffier if outside.

I don't really have room inside as Harley is taking up a big corner of the lounge, also Lilly lives with Oreo and once she came inside she would have to stay until the warmer weather. If i was certain it was connected to the cold weather then I would find somewhere to put her but Oreo can't come in as well. Her coat doesn't seem very thick but when I mentioned it to the Vet, she didn't think that was causing the problem. I'll see how she is tomorrow.

It's very difficult for vets sometimes when they have little to go on.

I hope you solve the dilemma soon.

She's been outside a while now though, hasn't she? And only just recently a bit unwell?

Oh dear, tonibun. It's such a worry. It could be the cold...it has been really bitter over here. Also, it could be that spur on her tooth. Some bunnies just can't cope with a little discomfort in their mouths. My late Widget got very unwell with just a little spur. Now my little Rosie had been fine up until the other week then Dr G said she had a mouthful of spurs but she hadn't shown any problems over the two years I've had her. It just happened so suddenly, the change in her demeanour. All you can do is keep an eye on Lovely Lilly.

Well, Lilly seems much brighter this morning and it's warmer, so could it be weather related. She has been outside since I got her at the end of November and she is in a shed so not exposed to all the wind but still cold. She could come into the kitchen but Oreo would have to stay outside and she really likes him. I'll keep my eye on her today and if she still seems unwell I will bring her in.

She's had a good breakfast and she is eating must faster today. The only worry is when I picked her up she is quite cold. I am not sure how that would compare with the others, I thnk they normally have some warmth around their middle? But she is definitely more cheerful!

I agree. It's probably the cold weather. Is her pee ok? Have you given her extra hay to snuggle into? Do you want some?

Thanks for the offer - I could probably give you some, well after tomorrow! Are you thinking UTI? The Vet didn't think she had an infection so withheld the abx, although I have some Baytril in the cupboard if I really thought she had one. As you know they are in the shed and haver 2 litter trays filled with hay but whether that keeps her warm enough when it is bitterly cold, I don't know. She seems almost back to normal today, yesterday she just stayed in the litter tray when I opened the shed door, but today she came running to the door, which is more like her. It's much milder today thankfully.

My buns have litter trays full of hay like yours do. They also have a wooden, Snuggle Box, stuffed with hay in each hutch. Unless you have a cardboard box that you can stuff. I'm glad Lilly's happier today. My buns have been out for a good run today but have now put themselves away. Little Bracken hasn't been outside since he's been here. His coat is quite thin and its very warm indoors. Roll on Spring when he can go outside and grow a decent coat.

Back