• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chasing problem following operation

Hop

New Kit
One of my established bonded pair had an operation two days ago. She is now on antibiotics and I have to handle her twice a day for meds. She seems to have recovered well, but has now started chasing and nipping at her partner. He is mounting a lot (time of year). I haven't had to separate them before this.
Does anyone have any experience of aggression after an op? Maybe she is just feeling better now and isn't taking any ****?! Thanks for any advice.

I am assuming both your rabbits are neutered? I think the mounting is more to do with dominance as he feels she is at a low ebb and is tasaking advantage, this in turn is making her retaliate. This is how I would interpret their behaviour. I hope things settle down between them and your girl recovers well from her operation.

I have something similar, established bonded pair (neutered boys). Only chased each other once previously, around this time last year (when Tonibun you kindly responded to my request for advice).

Anyway one has recently had GI stasis and was hospitalised (with his partner). They came home a few days ago and the poorly bun finished his meds last night. This morning at feeding time they were chasing and pulling clumps of fur out from one another. I've put up puppy panels in the room that they share together so that they're now separate. I plan to wait until the one that was poorly is 100% before re-introducing.

But I've never had to do this before so any tips would be most welcome (especially as I feel as if I'm a bad bunny carer at the moment having struggled to administer meds).

If it's any reassurance, my buns did settle down after about five days. She seems happier as we have gained confidence in dealing the meds. We had to syringe feed meds twice a day and she was NOT HAPPY about it. I was hesitating with the syringe (I was fearful of hurting her) which made things worse, so I asked my partner to dispense the medicine instead, whilst I held her in a firm bunny burrito. [I also made nibbling motions and wiggled my nose slowly, if that doesn't make me sound crazy. Thought it might show her what was expected or something]

Anyway she seems to be eating more overall now, and my guess is she was in some discomfort before the op, and this might have made her less dominant for a bit, which has now corrected.

Back