• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vetergesic - Help

PatchMagic

Young Bun
Please help

My girl has had a few dental to burr down spurs which eventually led to the loosening of her tooth. This tooth was removed on Monday where they discovered an infection and treated the same. She came home and was doing really well; she ate, pooped and even chased me for treats.

Wednesday, she seemed to be slowing and it was time for her second dose of antibiotics - she had that then seemed to develop a reluctance to use her right hand which is completely new.

Thursday she wasn't any better so returned to the vet who gave her gut mover, recovery plan, metacam and fluids. She was still lively throughout all of this and eating for herself, moving with slight balance issues but her cheeky self.

Friday, she seemed to not be getting any better in herself so returned to the vet who gave her vetergesic stating the fact that she was still herself but struggling probably meant the pain was restricting her. He said it would wear off within 6-8 hours.

She was instantly spaced out and basically didn't move at all, just slumped on the floor with her face planted. Her pupils have been dilated ever since and she just doesn't move. Returned to the vet who gave her more recovery and fluids and said the drug should have worn off by now and the most they could do is give her recovery & fluids for 24 hours. We can do the same so we have returned home and there is no change still - her face is buried in the floor and she seems to really struggle to lift it up. I give her recovery and she isn't at all with it enough to swallow it, never mind chew or grind or even spit it out so it just falls out of her mouth.

I don't know what else to do. Can a drug Last this long? Could it be something else? She just seems so out of it like she's overdosed.

She doesn't stand, walk or sleep properly. I will keep trying recovery plan and she is due a fluid injection in a few hours.

Hello, I'm sorry to read about your girl. I have no experience of Vetergesic, but I have read other threads where drowsiness has occured. However, I would have thought that she should by now be showing signs of coming out of it. The risk with syringe-feeding when a rabbit is so drowsy is one of aspiration.

I hope someone with more experience of exactly what to expect with this drug comes along soon. Was it today that you returned with her to the vet? Whilst I too, have always opted to care for my rabbits at home, I think with your description of her and the problems you have faced with syringe-feeding, I would want her to have some intensive therapy at the vets. Are you confident in your vet?

Please help

My girl has had a few dental to burr down spurs which eventually led to the loosening of her tooth. This tooth was removed on Monday where they discovered an infection and treated the same. She came home and was doing really well; she ate, pooped and even chased me for treats.

Wednesday, she seemed to be slowing and it was time for her second dose of antibiotics - she had that then seemed to develop a reluctance to use her right hand which is completely new.

Thursday she wasn't any better so returned to the vet who gave her gut mover, recovery plan, metacam and fluids. She was still lively throughout all of this and eating for herself, moving with slight balance issues but her cheeky self.

Friday, she seemed to not be getting any better in herself so returned to the vet who gave her vetergesic stating the fact that she was still herself but struggling probably meant the pain was restricting her. He said it would wear off within 6-8 hours.

She was instantly spaced out and basically didn't move at all, just slumped on the floor with her face planted. Her pupils have been dilated ever since and she just doesn't move. Returned to the vet who gave her more recovery and fluids and said the drug should have worn off by now and the most they could do is give her recovery & fluids for 24 hours. We can do the same so we have returned home and there is no change still - her face is buried in the floor and she seems to really struggle to lift it up. I give her recovery and she isn't at all with it enough to swallow it, never mind chew or grind or even spit it out so it just falls out of her mouth.

I don't know what else to do. Can a drug Last this long? Could it be something else? She just seems so out of it like she's overdosed.

She doesn't stand, walk or sleep properly. I will keep trying recovery plan and she is due a fluid injection in a few hours.

Hello

Whilst Vetergesic can cause marked sedation it should not still be doing so 24 hours after the dose. I am wondering if there is something else going on now, something neurological. Has the Vet mentioned this ?

Personally I think your Rabbit needs to be hospitalised as she almost certainly needs IV fluids and possibly tube feeding (via a naso-gastric tube) if she cannot swallow.

I do hope that she can pull through.

I was thinking the same as Jane.
Did you tell your vet about her reluctance to use her right hand? And the balance issues?
Keeping everything cross that she soon starts to show signs of improvement. I think that I would take her back to the vets too.
Xx

Last edited:
Topping up the vibes for your special girl... but similar to others I would ask for her to be hospitalised? But only if you are really confident in your vet? And will she be monitored through the night?

I've had one of my bunnies come home & was spaced out, but was back to normal within 12 hours, so I don't want to scare you but maybe there is an underlying issue here xx

I hate vetergesic!! It is far too sedating in my experience. One of my rabbits, Molly, had a GA including vetergesic, just for X-rays, and she didn't move for days, and barely ate a thing. I honestly thought she was going to die. But eventually, she did start to come out of it and was completely fine. It obviously affects some rabbits a lot more than others. But now, my vet only gives my rabbits half the usual amount of vetergesic because of this. And I would certainly not let them give it to Molly at all. Really hope your bun gets better xx

I'm sorry my replies don't seem to be posting - in trying again from a different browser.

My usual savvy vets haven't been available for the last two days and instead we've seen newly qualified vets. My vets are now closed so all appointments would now be emergency. I'm currently waiting for two emergency vets to call me back with some advice and I will ask about hospitalising her but the emergency vets in my area are not savvy at all so I am dreading having to do that.

She received full checks on each visit but no neuro specific tests. They also didn't mention it as an option. It's so difficult though as each time we went she stood up and wasn't as floppy as she has been at home so they had to rely on me explaining it, which I did as thoroughly as I could. They checked her hand and said there were no obvious problems but it could be that standing on it causes pain in her tooth extraction site as it's the same side.

She literally cannot lift her head off the floor so self cleaning is not possible. She did a tiny wee earlier but hasn't passed poop for probably 24 hours.

She seems to keep attempting to escape herself. I can't explain it. Every now and then she'll burst into an attempt to move but it just ends up with her scrabbling at the floor and slipping on to her face.

Could the extraction have caused neuro problems?

We've had rabbits for years as we used to rescue and adopt but I've never seen anything like this. She was fine and then all of a sudden she's a complete mess. The more I look into vetergesic the less I'm thinking it is that causing the problem - it should be out of her system fully by now.

She has got me through so many difficult times and I love her so much. I don't know how to help her.

May I ask how long it took Molly to start come around? Dolly is attempting to move which is new but unsuccessful has she is so out of it.

Where abouts are you? Maybe someone could recommend a better emergency vet as I wouldn't been keen on having her hospitalised there unless you are 100% confident. But personally I think she does need to see a rabbit savvy vet! Xx

especially as she hasn't pooped either? She might need a gut stimulant at least?

I'm in Lincoln. We have two emergency vets available in the area but one for sure is terrible with rabbits and the other hasn't fillled me confidence from the call.

She had gut mover at 2pm but nothing since then. I have ranitidine here to give her too.

I'm so scared to keep syringe feeding her as she's just not coherent enough to take it.

Thank you for your replies.

Amazing!! Bless her... She's trying! Suppose if she is only eating CC, it might not produce much.

You said she's trying to move, is she able to stand at all or just falling straight over?

sounds like your doing a great job though, what did the emergency vets say?

Last edited:
I'm in Lincoln. We have two emergency vets available in the area but one for sure is terrible with rabbits and the other hasn't fillled me confidence from the call.

She had gut mover at 2pm but nothing since then. I have ranitidine here to give her too.

I'm so scared to keep syringe feeding her as she's just not coherent enough to take it.

Personally I would not give her anything more by mouth as she may aspirate it. I really would try to get her to a Vet again tonight, hopefully one has called you back by now ?

Sorry that is lincoln Uk by the way.

The first emergency vet called back and said bring her in. He offered no advice and made no attempt to understand the situation so I'm very reluctant to leave her with him.

She attempts to stand and move position but her front legs won't support her so she just falls on to her face then stays there. She is really frustrated now though which is a slight improvement as she wasn't even trying to move earlier. Yet at the vets she can stand - why is that?

At least you'd heard back from one of them, maybe they'll explain more to you when you are there? Is it worth taking her and see what they say? You can always bring her back home if you really don't feel confident but surely worth trying?

I think that rabbits always become more alert at the vets. I always try to take a video to show them so they can get a realistic idea of what's going on.

It's a hard decision to make when you know that they're not rabbit savvy but I would take her to see a vet even if it's just to get some more gut meds by injection. You could also ask them if they will give you some to bring home with you for tomorrow with it being a Sunday.

Good news on the poop! It does sound like she is trying. Bless her. Maybe you could try putting her in a smaller area and place some rolled up towels around the edges, that way if she gets up and falls then she won't hurt herself and it might give her something to prop herself up against too.
Xx

So sorry to hear about your rabbit :(

Vetergesic can certainly knock a rabbit for six, and I have known mine suffer from it long after it should technically have worn off. That said, you really don't want to miss anything that's been going on with her that might have been masked by the vetergesic episode.

I would take her to the vet, but only leave her with a competent rabbit savvy vet who actually has the time and expertise to deal with her current condition.

Wishing you loads of luck xx

Back