• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nature's Own Hay? Ings? Timothy Hay?

I am having to trawl hay now because I seem to have a hay guzzler in my house :shock::shock:

I am also thinking of the difference between buying from the company that sells Ings hay and the timothy hay uk place ...

I've tried this.... Its lovely hay! :thumb:

Although I've only tried the meadow hay. I end up buying it when I go back to Wales as they sell a large bag for £3 or £2.50 if you buy more than 5 at a time. I tend to mix it with their other hay. It's a Bargain.. Compared to the £5 I pay for something else down here in Berkshire. I must admit it can get a little dusty at the bottom of the bag sometimes, plus it's not always very green but is nice with long stalky strands.

Both my two have really uped their hay intake since being together which is great & I don't get any complaints! :)

Last edited:
Ings hay is nice in that it has a few wild plants mixed in (not many). It is definitely softer than timothy, but in my view not as soft as meadow.

I haven't tried the timothy from the hay and straw co. (Ings), so neither I nor the rabbits can review that.

However, whilst they had always eaten a lot of the Ings and I was always satisfied both with the quality of the hay and the customer service of the company, the timothy from the timothy hay co is eaten much more readily. The customer service and delivery times are also good. The hay is very green, very stalky and has lots of seed heads.

I have another bag on order, due Monday:D

ETA I have never tried Nature's Own

I've tried this.... Its lovely hay! :thumb:

Although I've only tried the meadow hay. I end up buying it when I go back to Wales as they sell a large bag for £3 or £2.50 if you buy more than 5 at a time. I tend to mix it with their other hay. It's a Bargain.. Compared to the £5 I pay for something else down here in Berkshire. I must admit it can get a little dusty at the bottom of the bag sometimes, plus it's not always very green but is nice with long stalky strands.

Both my two have really uped their hay intake since being together which is great & I don't get any complaints! :)

Thank you :D

It does seem like a lovely, family run business. I was searching all kinds of hay and came across it :)

Ings hay is nice in that it has a few wild plants mixed in (not many). It is definitely softer than timothy, but in my view not as soft as meadow.

I haven't tried the timothy from the hay and straw co. (Ings), so neither I nor the rabbits can review that.

However, whilst they had always eaten a lot of the Ings and I was always satisfied both with the quality of the hay and the customer service of the company, the timothy from the timothy hay co is eaten much more readily. The customer service and delivery times are also good. The hay is very green, very stalky and has lots of seed heads.

I have another bag on order, due Monday:D

ETA I have never tried Nature's Own

We recently got a bag of the Timothy & Rye from Hay and Straw and it's not gone down well at all. The strands are nice and long but it's yellow, looks more like straw and it smells of nothing. My buns won't touch it :( We are using it as an underlayer for the other hay now. The timothyhay.co.uk hay is lovely though!
I've also just recieved a bag of Deans Meadow Hay and I'm pleasantly surprised.

We recently got a bag of the Timothy & Rye from Hay and Straw and it's not gone down well at all. The strands are nice and long but it's yellow, looks more like straw and it smells of nothing. My buns won't touch it :( We are using it as an underlayer for the other hay now. The timothyhay.co.uk hay is lovely though!
I've also just recieved a bag of Deans Meadow Hay and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Did you get the timothy hay from co.uk recently Roxy? That's sounding like a good bet.

It's so difficult. The last thing I want is hay that looks like straw. I can get hay from the farm shop, but it's fairly thin strands and can be green/brown. I wanted something like the Alfalfa King hay but without the price tag :D

Mine like the timothyhay.co.uk hay. I have not bought the Ings for a while as the bunnies prefer the timothy. I have had Deans meadow hay too from The Hay Experts - the last bag was not so good though.

I did have a look at the naturesown website a couple of weeks ago for the piggy pellets for my daughter but was disappointed that there was no list of ingredients anywhere. But the hay does look very tempting though.

Did you get the timothy hay from co.uk recently Roxy? That's sounding like a good bet.

It's so difficult. The last thing I want is hay that looks like straw. I can get hay from the farm shop, but it's fairly thin strands and can be green/brown. I wanted something like the Alfalfa King hay but without the price tag :D

The timothyhay.co.uk hay is really nice. Its green and stalky with lots of long strands. The boys have had it from day 1 :)
It was the timothy and rye from hay and pets that didn't go down well. I took a photo of the colour difference, I'll see if I can find it :)
Yes, the alfalfa king hay is expensive, very nice and green though. The Oxbow Orchard Grass is like that too but again it's quite expensive.

Last edited:
There you go!
The lighting in my house is terrible but the greener one on the left is the timothyhay.co.uk hay and the yellowy hay on the left is the hayandstraw timothy & rye
X

My three had a 10Kg bag of timothy from timothyhay.co.uk 4 weeks ago and that was as I described in my earlier post, i.e. very good. They've eaten that, so I have another arriving this Monday. If you can wait until then, I can let you know if it's as good.

My three had a 10Kg bag of timothy from timothyhay.co.uk 4 weeks ago and that was as I described in my earlier post, i.e. very good. They've eaten that, so I have another arriving this Monday. If you can wait until then, I can let you know if it's as good.

I've been having it for 2 years now and it's been consistently good :) Early last year they sent me a bag that seemed to have teeny tiny little bugs in it but when I emailed them they sent me a new bag out straight away :) No problems since!
The green oat hay is beautiful too :)

Definitely I can wait until then Omi - thanks so much!

How quick is delivery?

I've been having it for 2 years now and it's been consistently good :) Early last year they sent me a bag that seemed to have teeny tiny little bugs in it but when I emailed them they sent me a new bag out straight away :) No problems since!
The green oat hay is beautiful too :)

Looking on the website, I don't think they have any green oat hay at the moment?

Mine like the timothyhay.co.uk hay. I have not bought the Ings for a while as the bunnies prefer the timothy. I have had Deans meadow hay too from The Hay Experts - the last bag was not so good though.

I did have a look at the naturesown website a couple of weeks ago for the piggy pellets for my daughter but was disappointed that there was no list of ingredients anywhere. But the hay does look very tempting though.

Thanks for this Vanessa. The hay looks good, I agree ...

How are you doing? :wave:

Back