• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Encouraging drinking

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Not of booze though! Although now I think about it booze sounds like a good idea... :lol:

We had a scare with Mini in the small hours of Monday morning, she was unable to stand up and kept falling over, it was as if her back legs weren't working properly. She improved a little by the time we got to the emergency vets but still went to Trinity during daytime surgery as she was extremely lethargic and most definitely not her normal self. At several points on Monday I was convinced I would be saying goodbye to her.

They hospitalised her and she's had bloods and an EC test done. Still awaiting the EC results but the bloods came back yesterday and showed a few things. High levels of urea and abnormal electrolytes plus a slightly reduced white blood cell count. Vet thinks the urea and electrolytes were due to her not drinking so much due to the lethargy. When they hospitalised her for the tests they gave her supportive care which included fluids and she bounced back quite rapidly once she'd had that.

She's back to normal now but still unsure as to the cause but I'm keen to get her to drink plenty. Any ideas? I was thinking of providing an extra water bowl and dunking an apple tea bag in it for a couple of minutes so it tastes nice. Also gonna try and get some fresh herbs in for her, and maybe scour the allotment for any new growth. Have to be careful with veg with her, it tends to cause her to have wet poos which might make things worse.

Gosh that must have been very scary with Mini. I'm glad that she improved quickly after the fluid therapy.

I think your idea of the apple tea bag is good. I can imagine she would like that. Possibly any fruity-type tea bags would work equally well. I would also do as you have suggested and give her a bowl of normal water as well. I would also try to estimate just how much she is drinking.

It's a rotten time of the year for fresh stuff isn't it? I haven't been able to find much forage for a few days now and it seems wrong to pick any of the small new leaves that are growing.

The herbs should provide some moisture, especially if you serve them wet.

I hope she starts to drink a bit more and remains well.

Gosh that must have been very scary with Mini. I'm glad that she improved quickly after the fluid therapy.

I think your idea of the apple tea bag is good. I can imagine she would like that. Possibly any fruity-type tea bags would work equally well. I would also do as you have suggested and give her a bowl of normal water as well. I would also try to estimate just how much she is drinking.

It's a rotten time of the year for fresh stuff isn't it? I haven't been able to find much forage for a few days now and it seems wrong to pick any of the small new leaves that are growing.

The herbs should provide some moisture, especially if you serve them wet.

I hope she starts to drink a bit more and remains well.

Yeah not the best time of year but hopefully there will be some soon. I have some dried stuff stored but that's no help!

Not of booze though! Although now I think about it booze sounds like a good idea... :lol:

We had a scare with Mini in the small hours of Monday morning, she was unable to stand up and kept falling over, it was as if her back legs weren't working properly. She improved a little by the time we got to the emergency vets but still went to Trinity during daytime surgery as she was extremely lethargic and most definitely not her normal self. At several points on Monday I was convinced I would be saying goodbye to her.

They hospitalised her and she's had bloods and an EC test done. Still awaiting the EC results but the bloods came back yesterday and showed a few things. High levels of urea and abnormal electrolytes plus a slightly reduced white blood cell count. Vet thinks the urea and electrolytes were due to her not drinking so much due to the lethargy. When they hospitalised her for the tests they gave her supportive care which included fluids and she bounced back quite rapidly once she'd had that.

She's back to normal now but still unsure as to the cause but I'm keen to get her to drink plenty. Any ideas? I was thinking of providing an extra water bowl and dunking an apple tea bag in it for a couple of minutes so it tastes nice. Also gonna try and get some fresh herbs in for her, and maybe scour the allotment for any new growth. Have to be careful with veg with her, it tends to cause her to have wet poos which might make things worse.

Have Trinity commented on what they feel about Mimi's kidney function given the blood test abnormalities ?

All of my Rabbits drink A LOT more water if Avipro Plus is added. It was actually Mark at Trinity who recommended it to me x

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Avipro-Plus_4.aspx

When I've needed a rabbit to drink for whatever reason, I whizz up a tiny amount of apple (the fruit) with water in a blender. Even though it's extremely weak, they still love the flavour and drink it right down x

How are you? You've changed your avatar :)

Have Trinity commented on what they feel about Mimi's kidney function given the blood test abnormalities ?

All of my Rabbits drink A LOT more water if Avipro Plus is added. It was actually Mark at Trinity who recommended it to me x

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Avipro-Plus_4.aspx

The vet I spoke to on Friday felt that it's more the result of whatever happened rather than the cause. I think they want to wait and see the result of the EC before prescribing anything.

Thanks for that link, I thought I remembered seeing like that but couldn't for the life of me remember the name! I've been keeping a good eye and she has been drinking, she always chews on the bowl before she drinks, she's done that for as long as I can remember, but it means I can hear when she's drinking which is helpful!

Last edited:
When I've needed a rabbit to drink for whatever reason, I whizz up a tiny amount of apple (the fruit) with water in a blender. Even though it's extremely weak, they still love the flavour and drink it right down x

How are you? You've changed your avatar :)

That's a good idea, I'll give it a go.

I'm fine thanks! Just a lot of stuff happening at once! Fancied a change with the avatar :D

So the vet we originally saw on Monday called today. The EC test was negative but he feels Mini's kidneys are starting to fail and that it wasn't just dehydration. He hasn't prescribed anything, just recommended to carry on encouraging drinking, he also suggested adding a pinch of Avipro to the water. I have ordered some, hopefully it will be here in the next couple of days. He said that what will probably happen is she will have further episodes which they can then treat with subq fluids when it flares up but that eventually that won't work any longer and we'll have to make the decision.

She's nearly ten and has been on daily painkillers for a few years now so I'm not surprised, sad obviously but not surprised.

So the vet we originally saw on Monday called today. The EC test was negative but he feels Mini's kidneys are starting to fail and that it wasn't just dehydration. He hasn't prescribed anything, just recommended to carry on encouraging drinking, he also suggested adding a pinch of Avipro to the water. I have ordered some, hopefully it will be here in the next couple of days. He said that what will probably happen is she will have further episodes which they can then treat with subq fluids when it flares up but that eventually that won't work any longer and we'll have to make the decision.

She's nearly ten and has been on daily painkillers for a few years now so I'm not surprised, sad obviously but not surprised.

Yes, at 10 years old it's a very good innings. Never easy, but it seems like you have the very best advice :)

A pinch of Avipro will hopefully encourage her drinking, which can only be a very good thing x

Awwwww bless her. I am glad that Trinity suggested the Avipro too, fab stuff that it is !! I hope Mini will remain comfortable for as long as possible xx

I'm sorry that your vet is now thinking that the issue was not one just of dehydration. I hope that she can be encouraged to drink more and that she will stay stable for as long as possible.

She's having another episode :( she's very lethargic, has eaten a few pellets but left some which is very unlike her. I've syringed about 6ml of water into her and she's had her painkillers. She's also passed some mucus :( its horrid seeing her so tired and forlorn.

I don't think there is much point right now in me bundling them to the emergency vet. But I think we'll be off to trinity in the morning.

She's having another episode :( she's very lethargic, has eaten a few pellets but left some which is very unlike her. I've syringed about 6ml of water into her and she's had her painkillers. She's also passed some mucus :( its horrid seeing her so tired and forlorn.

I don't think there is much point right now in me bundling them to the emergency vet. But I think we'll be off to trinity in the morning.

Oh sorry to hear that :(

Sounds like a bit of colon/gut inflammation with the mucous.

Thank you, I'm going to syringe some more fluids into her in a bit. Hopefully it will help.

Thank you, I'm going to syringe some more fluids into her in a bit. Hopefully it will help.

Sorry to hear that Mini is not doing so well. Sadly this can happen when a Rabbit is in CRF. Getting her onto IV fluids for 24 hours may help but of course it would then be a case of her being able to maintain hydration without IVs. Has Trinity suggested any supportive treatment for the renal problems? Maybe starting her on an ACE inhibitor such as Benazepril (AKA Fortekor)

I posted this response on a previous thread relating to CRF:

If her most recent blood test results do indicate chronic renal failure then whilst there is no 'cure' as such, there are some things that can be done to buy her a bit more good quality time. These may include giving an ACE inhibitor drug called Benazepril (AKA Fortekor). When used to treat CRF Benazepril reduces the protein loss in urine and lowers the systemic and intraglomerular (within the kidneys) blood pressure. Reduction in glomerular hypertension (high blood pressure within the kidneys) slows the progression of kidney disease by reducing the rate of further damage to the kidneys. Fortekor has been found to increase the appetite too.

Anabolic steroids can be useful, they act as an appetite stimulant, reduce uraemia (raised levels of urea in the blood), reduce muscle wastage (which often accounts for the weightloss seen with CRF) and may help with the retention of electrolytes.

If blood tests show low potassium (hypokalaemia) then a Potassium supplement could be given

If anaemia is a feature of the CRF then giving Erythropoetin may be an option. It is a hormone normally produced in the kidneys.

Rabbits in CRF do need some dietary modifications which include moderating calcium intake -eg minimal alfalfa hays/pellets and restricting phosphate intake, so no carrots, tomatoes or banana

Sometimes fluid therapy becomes necessary- fluid given IV or possibly subcutaneously.

As you are with the experts I am sure that all bases will be covered, but just thought I'd mention the above anyway.

Sending lots of vibes for Mini xx

Back