• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Using 2 vets

Fellie

Warren Veteran
I used to be with Companion Vets before we moved to Maidstone - they were fine, and knew basic treatment protocols for stasis etc. I joined their monthly payment scheme which was £6 per month per rabbit to cover vaccinations and other bits and pieces and it worked out well - especially not having to pay out a lump sum when buns needed vaccinating.

I'm now with Trinity Vets - and they do a similar monthly payment scheme but its a lot more and not worth it to me, as I wouldn't use the other 'perks' on it. So I pay out for vaccinations which are around £35 per bun.

Now I see the Vets4pets plan - one off payment of £99 for life time of vaccinations? Makes me go hmmm...

Is it ethical to perhaps use Vets4pets just for vaccinations - and Trinity for other stuff? I would still use Trinity for annual check ups etc - but I could save SO much money by using Vets4pets for vaccinations?

Seems a bit naughty to me...:oops:

I think it's perfectly reasonable. But I don't think it's necessarily a good idea, having done it myself for rabbity matters in the past. Mainly because of the health check - it's fine whilst the bunny is healthy, but becomes confusing and difficult when they are under a different vet.

I've decided not to do it in the past and use my rabbit vet for everything. However my rabbit vets don't cover all the own OOH and the vet practice that is supposed to do OOH on three evenings a week won't see us because we are not in their local area. ... so I either have to see a local vet (that we are not registered with) or put the rabbit at risk by not taking them til morning.

I've decided enough is enough. I'm now choosing to vaccinate at my local vets as it's convenient, I like the vet I've got 5 minutes from my home. ... it's cheaper, and it gives me proper access to their OOH without feeling cheeky/taking liberties. My local vet has the full picture and is happy with what I'm doing.

Last edited:
I do exactly this... so both my bunnies are registered at vets now for the majority of their treatment - which is pretty much everything! But then go to Vets4Pets for nail clipping, vaccinations and if they ever need mite treatment. (basically anything to help save the pennies on!)

Both vets are more than happy, and just send the notes across to the other one once they are updated. I have been doing this for the past year and have had no issues.

I know it is a little cheeky, but at the end of the day, we're all happy! :) xx

p.s. I also have another vet, that I know is hopeless and would never take either bunny there but as it's literally 4 mins up the road, I've used them in the past for the senior nurse to help me inject penicillin for free. (if you don't ask you don't get) :lol:

My girls are registered at... 3 vets... no 4 vets.

We are now transferring to just one vet as they are around the same distance away as the others, but come highly recommended. They also do the £99 vaccine offer, so I'll be asking about this at the next vaccine (VHD2) and seeing if we could pay it for the combi vaccine in future.

One of the 4 they'll stay registered at, as this is the most local exotics vet to my parents so if my rabbits stay there, they have a known and trusted vet to use.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I used to be with Companion Vets before we moved to Maidstone - they were fine, and knew basic treatment protocols for stasis etc. I joined their monthly payment scheme which was £6 per month per rabbit to cover vaccinations and other bits and pieces and it worked out well - especially not having to pay out a lump sum when buns needed vaccinating.

I'm now with Trinity Vets - and they do a similar monthly payment scheme but its a lot more and not worth it to me, as I wouldn't use the other 'perks' on it. So I pay out for vaccinations which are around £35 per bun.

Now I see the Vets4pets plan - one off payment of £99 for life time of vaccinations? Makes me go hmmm...

Is it ethical to perhaps use Vets4pets just for vaccinations - and Trinity for other stuff? I would still use Trinity for annual check ups etc - but I could save SO much money by using Vets4pets for vaccinations?

Seems a bit naughty to me...:oops:

I use the vets that will serve my rabbits best at the time they need them. For vaccinations I always shop around for the best value and care (not necessarily the cheapest)

I found my normal vet refused life saving medication on one occasion, so I immediately registered with another who would agree to save his life. I felt this was the ethical solution in this case :)

I do this for Jake, but he was registered at vets4pets first when we lived in Woodhouse, and we used vets4pets for all treatment. I rang them up to say I was moving but would still like to bring Jake in for his vaccines since we'd paid for the Vacc4life scheme but use another vets which is a 10 minute walk away and more bunny savvy for treatments, they were fine with it and were happy to transfer his notes yet keep him on the system so they can see his background when he goes for his vaccine.

I am inbetween 2 vets at the moment while I suss out which is best for my rabbits. Their last appointment was with the "more" local one (1.5 hours round trip opposed to 3)

I have considered this because I have a vets literally at the end of my road so it's such a pain travelling 20 minutes to Maidstone but I feel that the healthcheck is such an important part of the vaccination that for the three trips a year it's not a big deal. I'd rather have them seen by someone knowledgeable. That is a considerable saving though! I guess it depends on the bunny savviness of the vets4pets vets.

Is Vets4Pets the emergency vet that Trinity recommends on their answerphone? I've always found them to be pretty decent when I've had to use them. They tend to defer to Trinity when they feel something is too complicated for them.

Just to add, Vets4Pets also were happy to refer me to the vets I use now when they were unsure of what to do with Gordon's heart/respiratory issues and were very helpful when I fully transferred him to that vets. So don't be afraid of ringing them up and asking if they would mind you using them for the vac4life scheme but have them registered at another vets too. As with most big vets I find their savvyness depends on the vet you see, I didn't have a problem with a range of vets and animals until one insisted Leonard syrian was a dwarf hamster and said his scent glands were mites as dwarf hammies don't have them in that location - and never commented on what I'd took him in for which was funny coloured bits! :shock:

Back