• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recovering from spaying.

bunnybeth

New Kit
My 6 month old little girl was spayed yesterday, she was very perky when she came home but only nibbled on a little cabbage and some hay last night. This morning there were poops and puddles. However when the vets called this morning to see how she was doing they said that they would expect her to be eating normally now, nuggets included and perhaps she should go back in. So I am looking for a little reassurance please.... today she has eaten some hay, a slice or carrot, a little cabbage, a little broccoli and some nice grass from the garden. I have also seen her drink a little. She has passed more poops since this morning than she did last night but as the vets said they would expect her to be eating properly the day after I am nattering a little. She has also had a major temper tantrum and has shredded the paper in her cage and is moving easily. Are the vets being over optimistic and is this a normal recovery in people's experience? I would take her back to the vets if she needed it of course but the car stresses her out so it would be counterproductive if there was no need.
Thank you

Hello there. Your little girl is doing very well and will start to eat her pellets maybe tomorrow now so please don't worry. It wasn't good of your Vet to make you anxious - when do you have to take her for a check-up?

Tbh it sounds to me as though she is doing very well. If it were my doe I would certainly not be concerned if she was eating, pooing and moving around as well as that. I presume you have some pain relief to give her?

Thank you, she has a check up next week, I had expected her to just nibble what she fancied for a little while but hearing that they expected her to be eating normally this morning threw me a little. My other rabbit was back to normal within 36 hours but that was after castration so not as hard.

I asked about pain relief and was told that what she had would last up to 48hrs.

48 hours is what my Vets usually say but sometimes they need more after 24 hours. Your bunny seems good though, keep an eye on her and check the wound if you can. If you feel she is in some discomfort then phone your Vets and ask for more pain relief. Hope she won't need any and recovers well.

Rabbits metabolise their medicine faster than dogs and cats so maybe your Vet isn't aware of this?

Thank you, I have checked the would this morning and this afternoon and it no longer looks angry like it did when she came home yesterday.
Hopefully she's just trying to make me feel guilty, it seems an awful proceedure to put a little girl through but I know it's for the best. And she will be able to move in with her boyfriend and not just kiss through bars.

Last edited:
I have just checked on on her and she's lying in her cage with her back feet out to the side looking quite chilled so hopefully not feeling too much discomfort.

Nope, no pain relief to bring home, I did ask but they don't give it unless necessary. I've just given her her routine evening feed and she has jumped on her veg and eaten in like she would normally do so I am feeling much happier now.

Nope, no pain relief to bring home, I did ask but they don't give it unless necessary. I've just given her her routine evening feed and she has jumped on her veg and eaten in like she would normally do so I am feeling much happier now.

I am late to your thread bunnybeth - but welcome to the Forum :wave:

And glad to hear things are going well for the little girlie :D

I am surprised your vet did not bother with any pain meds, especially after they got you worried about her behavior the next day. It is good to know she is feeling much better today (and that makes you feel better too).

Quick up date on my little girl (she's called Pebbles). She's had no pain relief since post op in the vet's surgery and she is completely back to her normal self. All nuggets, hay and veg (given as her normal tea time routine) have been devoured overnight, drinking normally too. Really pleased as we're not quite 4 days post op until later today. The only thing that is bugging her is not being allowed out but she will have to tolerate that for a little while longer.

Quick up date on my little girl (she's called Pebbles). She's had no pain relief since post op in the vet's surgery and she is completely back to her normal self. All nuggets, hay and veg (given as her normal tea time routine) have been devoured overnight, drinking normally too. Really pleased as we're not quite 4 days post op until later today. The only thing that is bugging her is not being allowed out but she will have to tolerate that for a little while longer.

Well done Pebbles, and well done you - you've both got through a worrying time :D

Back