• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rented accomodation and house bunnys

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I was wondering whether anyone lives in rented accomodation with house bunnies? I'm going to be moving into rented sometime in the near future and don't wan't to have to keep my bunnies outside, but can imagine landlords not wanting them in the house as my two have nibbled the skirting and carpet! :(

We had this problem about 5 years ago.We had a nice cupboard under the stars which housed a hutch quite nicely so when the landlord came for inspection he didnt think to look in the cupboard.When he was gone barney had free roam of the the downstairs.We sprayed a bitter apple spray on the skirting boards and never had any problems. :wink:

Hi

I live in rented accommodation and in my first house, although I wasn't allowed pets inside I kept a decoy hutch outside and the bunnies happily lived inside! I just had to be very careful with bunnies chewing things, I found like Nicola mentioned, pet repellant spray and blocking off things was a good deterrant.

I am still living in rented accommodation and the buns are now kept outside in a shed :( but reguarly come in for cuddles.

On the whole I found landlords are quite reluctant to let bunnies in the house as they don't understand that they are actually v easy to litter train but on the other hand it is much easier to hide a bunny if the landlord comes round esp if you have a garden!

Good luck!

Thats probs cos they have seen houses like mine with bits of carpet missing and bunnies weeing in the corner!

I rent my flat. Im not supposed to have pets but have had hamsters before and landlord never bothered. Now i got my bunny if he comes round he gets hidden in my car or at work hehehe. He does nibble the odd bit of carpet or door but hopefully if he doesnt think i have a rabbit he wont know how it happened heh.
Chris

Yes I think I might have to go for a decoy setting in the back garden, it's a shame that they have to be hidden though! Mine are far less destructive than a dog or cat!!!

Most places don't allow pets anyhow do they?

Really when it comes down to it you have to take into consideration that if you bunnie eats half the doors or carpets your going to get the bill for it! I would have thought with that and the fact that carpets are made of all sorts of stuff and door paint cannot be that good for you that its worth trying to minmise chewing. Buy the bunnie one of those giant logs like snakes sit on ;-)

my rabbit has lots of wood chews but he seems to prefer things he shouldnt chew. The last few days ive been catching him pulling wallpaper off and eating it!! :?
Anyone found anything that stops the chewing? If i shout OI! at him he stops immediately but i dont always notice what he's up to.. and he tends to wait til im not looking heh.
If i get a bill at the end it will be worth it cos i love having a house rabbit.
Chris

:lol: Mojo and Grace did that when I first got them, I used to spray perfume on the bits which seemed to be prime targets, can't remember which perfume it was though, Tam can you remember?

I believe it was Samsara?

Bitter apple spray is another thing people commonly use to deter pets from chewing.

Tam

Luckily my bunnies seem to be really good when it comes to chewing, I've noticed bite marks only where there's been a bit of a tunnel like gap, so have tried to minimise all unintentional tunnels!

while bernie has a taste for cables, al likes the odd nibble on a bookcase now and then and steve seems to prefere to chomp on the most expensive duvet cover he can find.

This is how I got my first bun Alfie, the couple who had him prior to me were in rented accommodation and their landlord gave them the ultimatum - he went or they were chucked out for breach of contract so be careful. He had already been neutered so they had good intentions but the 2 ft hutch was far too small for him - bless him

Back