• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay mites or allergic reaction (human not bunny)

DemiS

Warren Veteran
I opened a new bag of hay a few days ago and I'm very itchy for a while after handling it, little lumps appear similar to nettle stings. I can't see any mites or dirt, Is it likely that or could it just be rough bits of hay irritating my skin? I was absolutely fine with the last lot which seems to be the same makeup and coarseness as this one. I can't see any bites on the rabbits and they don't seem to be itching. Really hope it's not mites because it's an enormous bag I just paid for 😣

There may be some bits of thistle or other bits of weed seeds / hairs causing a reaction.
Can you wear rubber gloves and shake it outside to see if that helps?

I get awful grass rash :thumb: I have eczema anyway but it's not too bad, but if I do anything in long grass for a while I end up with a rash (not itchy though). When I move hay bales about without sleeves on I get poked a lot, and those tend to be itchy lumps!

I get awful grass rash :thumb: I have eczema anyway but it's not too bad, but if I do anything in long grass for a while I end up with a rash (not itchy though). When I move hay bales about without sleeves on I get poked a lot, and those tend to be itchy lumps!

Me too. My eczema is particularly bad at the moment, which I think is partly due to the colder weather. I get the same itchy lumps though with grass and most plants if I don't have sleeves on.

I think it's the rough bits of hay which are causing a reaction to your skin. You haven't said if the rash is where your skin has touched the hay. If it is I would be confident that this is the cause.

Back