• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Custom built kennel in progress and I am SO excited!

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
So I have had a turbulent few months in respect of housing for my buns.

They are currently in this:

Now that I have moved to a house with a MUCH bigger garden I wanted the buns to have some more space as my ability to let them out every day can be a challenge with work etc.

I researched lots, got lots of quote from varying kennel and shed companies. Some very high and unfortunately a lot of them much further north in the country (I live in Devon) which bumped up the price up hugely!! In October I finally found a company in the South East (over 250 miles away) who said they could build the custom built kennel I wanted and deliver it before Christmas - this was music to my ears. I paid a deposit and emailed regularly to find out on the progress. The week before xmas came and I got an email to say they were awaiting the mesh to be delivered and fitted and then it would be ready for delivery. We rescheduled for earl January. I get another email in early Jan to say they would deliver and install on the 28th Jan. OK so 6 weeks after the expected delivery but it was what I wanted. I then get a call on 21st Jan from the wife of the chap who owned the business to advise me someone had just walked off site, the kennel was not as far along as they stated and that to complete the order was another 6-8 weeks at least! I couldn't believe it! She apologised and offered me to have my deposit back and cancel the order or I could wait. I needed to go away and think about it and decided to wait 8 weeks. I called back to say I would be happy to wait but they then said it could take longer than 10 weeks and they didn't want to mess me around and they would refund my deposit so I could find someone else. At this point I thought I ought to just cut my losses because they had clearly lied and never even started it! Why would they just give up on finishing such a large order if it was even half built.

Anyway I got over this and wondered what the hell I was going to do. Thankfully I had a slightly higher quote from a shed maker in Cornwall - so much closer to home - so I contacted them to ask if they could still provide the order. They said they could, looked at my hand drawn designs and confirmed the quote. I paid the deposit and now it's due for delivery on Friday!!!

And because of my awful experience above I asked the new supplier to send me some pictures of their progress and they sent the below!

This is going to be a 14ft wide x 6ft deep kennel (6x4 storage shed, 6x4 bunny kennel with self and 6x6 run with shelf).

IMG_4169[2] by Siobhan OSullivan, on Flickr

IMG_4211[1] by Siobhan OSullivan, on Flickr

IMG_4210[1] by Siobhan OSullivan, on Flickr

IMG_4212[1] by Siobhan OSullivan, on Flickr

It will be placed on the below concrete hard standing which I have painted with concrete paint to make it easier to clean.

IMG_4204[1] by Siobhan OSullivan, on Flickr

I'm so excited!!! :)

Looks great, interesting to see the progress and how it all comes together. How will they transport it will it break down into sections?

It's delivered and in!!! Buns not moved in yet as need to put some Lino down which is the plan for the weekend. Delivery was interesting as front and back panels came as one piece :shock:but they did a great job. Will post some installed pics later if people are interested in seeing the almost finished article!

Can't wait to see yours, my run just arrived too! Its really exciting to get a new home for the rabbits, yours looks fantastic! Very sturdy and looks nice too.

It's delivered and in!!! Buns not moved in yet as need to put some Lino down which is the plan for the weekend. Delivery was interesting as front and back panels came as one piece :shock:but they did a great job. Will post some installed pics later if people are interested in seeing the almost finished article!

Yay how exciting! Of course we'd love to see photos :D

Back