• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Small cage advertised on face book

cpayne

Warren Veteran
A small cage is being advertised for rabbits. I've commented it's far too small for a rabbit and said the minimum requirements. It looks tiny they've replied back its for an indoor rabbit at night! I've put the requirements of 6 ft still apply with a run. It's alright if you leave it open and I have an indoor rabbit. I've said people new to rabbits get cages not realising they are being cruel. Bet she's got the right hump. Hoping others step in and no one buys it!

There are so so so so so many inadequate cages being sold. Very frustrating. Shutting them in at night seems a popular way to behave ... *sigh*.

When I first got the boys they had a 2 storey indoor cage. I can't believe that I ever thought that they could live in it. It seems so ridiculous now when I look back! I also used to cage mine at night but I don't know how people continue to do it, mine would bite the bars all night and keep me awake! It lasted about 10 days until I started researching and realised why they were doing it.
They are so much happier free range and so am I! I always say to people that if they could see a free range rabbit live then they would never dream of caging them again.
I see this sort of advert on local selling sites all the time and it breaks my heart. It's usually a depressed looking solo rabbit sitting in a small cage with no hay. It breaks my heart :(

It breaks my heart too. She said their are bite marks on it. I thought no wonder!
She said if she sells it she will let them know they can't be put in there 24/7, I said it's alright if you leave it continually open and they use it as a base. I had Doughnut in a 4ft hutch indoors when she was a baby and shut her in at night and if I was at work. She was only little but I still feel like I've been cruel. I added a run fairly quickly but still feel that was inadequate. One day I forgot to lock the hutch and opened the front door and she was sitting in the hall to greet me! She hadn't done any damage so I thought I'd just leave her out from then on. I know we've all made mistakes so just want to try and get the message across that those cages are far too small.

I'll soon be selling one of these indoor cages. It'll be advertised for two piggies, so hopefully I won't get lots of people messaging me telling me how it's too small for rabbits etc.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

When I first got my pair the rescue checked the set-up and suggested I shut them in at night! (it's not outdoors...) Being a naive bunny-owner I did...for about a week. I felt so bad seeing them desperate to get out in a morning. When I think back to how we kept our rabbits when I was a child I cringe...attitudes are improving slowly but really these silly-sized cages should just be taken off the market. I hope it goes to a responsible owner, at least you got your point across.

I'll soon be selling one of these indoor cages. It'll be advertised for two piggies, so hopefully I won't get lots of people messaging me telling me how it's too small for rabbits etc.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
She advertised it as for a rabbit/guinea pig and she had kept a rabbit in there. You can always put on your advert not suitable for rabbits so someone who's just got a rabbit knows it's not OK.

When I first got my pair the rescue checked the set-up and suggested I shut them in at night! (it's not outdoors...) Being a naive bunny-owner I did...for about a week. I felt so bad seeing them desperate to get out in a morning. When I think back to how we kept our rabbits when I was a child I cringe...attitudes are improving slowly but really these silly-sized cages should just be taken off the market. I hope it goes to a responsible owner, at least you got your point across.
I'm surprised a rescue said that, that's worrying! I had no idea about rabbits, I just fell in love with Doughnut and did some research before I got her and when I got her realised I needed to do a lot more!

Back