• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gastrointestinal stasis

Louisepixie

New Kit
Okay so Pixie has gastrointestinal stasis! She's been vets twice and second time diagnosed with this. Medication brought home and she's taking it okay. Starting to eat and drink on her own again slightly. Also some critical care. Now I feel she has a side effect to emeprid that she's laying in abnormal positions. Has anyone else had this?
Also how long can this process take for her to recover?
She seems to be getting there but hate seeing my girl like this.
Any advice bunny lovers? :oops:

I'm sorry to hear Pixie is poorly. Something will have caused her to go in to stasis, be that physical pain, trauma, dental issues, emotions, diet - finding out what is the battle. You say she was discharged on meds - did that include pain relief (eg Metacam). How is she lying? and is she pooing & drinking?

Okay so Pixie has gastrointestinal stasis! She's been vets twice and second time diagnosed with this. Medication brought home and she's taking it okay. Starting to eat and drink on her own again slightly. Also some critical care. Now I feel she has a side effect to emeprid that she's laying in abnormal positions. Has anyone else had this?

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Sorry to hear about Pixie's stasis. You don't say when you went to the vet and got the medications?
So I don't know how long she's been on them and can't advise about timings ...

Here are a couple of very good articles about stasis:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

Good luck xx

Last edited:

Has Pixie passed any poo yet ? It may be that she was lying in an 'odd' position due to tummy pain. Emeprid is 'Metoclopramide' a prokinetic which increases the rate of gastric emptying. It rarely causes adverse side effects when prescribed appropriately- ie at the correct dose and after ruling out a gastrointestinal obstruction.

Is Pixie moving about OK ? No balance issues ?

Hopefully the Vet included pain relief with the medication prescribed ? A Rabbit in pain, for whatever reason, will not eat and gut stasis can occur as a secondary symptom as mentioned by joey&boo.

Gut stasis can take several days of ongoing treatment to fully resolve, but of course if there is an underlying primary cause then that needs to be addressed too.

There is an informative article taken from the Vet Times and loaded onto 'Anyflip' (thank you 'you know who ;) ) which explains about Gut Stasis and it's treatment

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

I hope that Pixie is feeling better by now. It is important to monitor her poo output, if there has not been any at all overnight I'd give the Vet a call this morning for more advice. Good luck x

I can't get it to zoom in!

Do you mean this link that I posted yesterday tonibun?

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

There is a big black bar at the bottom that says 'click to view full screen'.

That disappears after a bit though, and you can go to the + or - at the top left to zoom in or out. When you do that I find the black bar comes back.

Good luck :)

Yes just tried it again, and it works that way :)

Back