• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles

Hills

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

I have a bunny with snuffles, lots of sneezing and white thick mucus, every time he comes off medication he's back to his usual snotty self.

I give him oxbox immune support, proC and cone flower daily, he is fine in himself, eats well (lots of hay), drinks well and is generally really happy!

I'm a bit stuck on what do with him, will he always sneeze? I don't want to be pumping antibiotics in him forever!

Thanks,
Lucy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

I have a bunny with snuffles, lots of sneezing and white thick mucus, every time he comes off medication he's back to his usual snotty self.

I give him oxbox immune support, proC and cone flower daily, he is fine in himself, eats well (lots of hay), drinks well and is generally really happy!

I'm a bit stuck on what do with him, will he always sneeze? I don't want to be pumping antibiotics in him forever!

Thanks,
Lucy

Hello

I am sorry that your thread did not receive any replies last night.

With regards to the antibiotics, what has your Rabbit been on and how long was each course ?

Has the Vet suggested any further diagnostics such as a deep nasal swab (has to be done under sedation so may not be an option), likewise endoscopic examination of his nasal passages and chest Xrays. A full dental examination too, some cases of 'Snuffles' can be secondary to Dental problems that involve elongated tooth roots.

Snuffles can be a real challenge to get on top of and sometimes it can be a case of managing a longterm/chronic condition rather than achieving a 'cure'. The following links may be useful to read:

https://thewebinarvet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Respiratory-Disease-in-Rabbit-webinar.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

This thread is very long, but you may pick up some tips if you trawl your way through it

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?340086-Snuffle-bunny-thread&highlight=snuffles

Good luck, and again sorry your thread appeared to be overlooked yesterday x

I looked through the Health stickies to give her something to read but there is nothing in there. Perhaps this long thread could be included in the stickies?

The only thing I can add to JJ's marvelous post is if you do have the deep nasal swab, while he's under the sedation I'd ask them to also do the chest xrays.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hello,

Thank you for all your replies.

He has been on various antibiotics including penicillin injections, that all worked but they just don't get rid of it (I understand he will always have it just need to control it) penicillin was around 7-10 days and his recent medication was a 30 day course (karidox something) 3 days of him being off it the sneezing has begun.

I think I'm going to go ahead with the X-ray and swab as it seems to be my last option, I was really trying to avoid this as sedation scares me! But I will take him to my vet for a general health check first.

Thank you for the links to look through Jack's-Jane I will have a look through them today.

Thank you everyone [emoji4]

Hello,

Thank you for all your replies.

He has been on various antibiotics including penicillin injections, that all worked but they just don't get rid of it (I understand he will always have it just need to control it) penicillin was around 7-10 days and his recent medication was a 30 day course (karidox something) 3 days of him being off it the sneezing has begun.

I think I'm going to go ahead with the X-ray and swab as it seems to be my last option, I was really trying to avoid this as sedation scares me! But I will take him to my vet for a general health check first.

Thank you for the links to look through Jack's-Jane I will have a look through them today.

Thank you everyone [emoji4]

Hi there Lucy and welcome to RU :wave:

How old is your bunny (and what's his name?)

7 - 10 days of penicillin is not really enough to conquer a chronic infection. Are you happy with the way your vet has treated your rabbit with regards to all the possibilities? Dependant on age - and of course he has a respiratory condition which makes it more risky - I would think carefully before letting him have a GA. Though of course it could throw up some very useful info if he were to have the X-ray. Deep nasal swabs don't always give useful info, but may do :)

If you want other recommendations for vets - and you are entitled to visit any vet you wish, at any time, without notifying the vet you are with, then start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the title "Rabbit Savvy vet needed in (your location)" and members will give their recommendations.

Good luck xx

Hello! [emoji4]

His name is Louis (pronounced Lewis) and he is around 1yo, so still very young.

I should have mentioned before but the reason we stopped the penicillin is because it seemed to be stressing him out more, although it worked wonders (was injections).

Putting him under is something I don't really want to do so it's very hard!

I have a very good vet, his name is Rob Reynolds, he owns Seers Croft Veterinary clinic, I'm going to book him in for a check up on Monday.

It's so hard because he is absolutely fine in himself! Could it just be a case of building up his immune system?

Thank you [emoji4]

Hello! [emoji4]

His name is Louis (pronounced Lewis) and he is around 1yo, so still very young.

I should have mentioned before but the reason we stopped the penicillin is because it seemed to be stressing him out more, although it worked wonders (was injections).

Putting him under is something I don't really want to do so it's very hard!

I have a very good vet, his name is Rob Reynolds, he owns Seers Croft Veterinary clinic, I'm going to book him in for a check up on Monday.

It's so hard because he is absolutely fine in himself! Could it just be a case of building up his immune system?

Thank you [emoji4]

You're welcome :D

Well you're giving him coneflower, but to ensure he gets a really good dose of immune stimulant you could try something like this:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/natures-answer-echinacea-goldenseal-alcohol-free-fluid-extract-30ml

Th Goldenseal gives the Echinacea a kick up the bum! Worth a try - I would do it :)

I'm glad you've a good vet. Were the penicillin infections daily or every other day? Did you do the injections yourself? They are usually very well tolerated.

The other thing to try is Bisolvon. A pinch on food (you get it from your vet) and this will dissolve mucous and make it easier to pass. You could also try nebulising - there's a great member on here who's used it to good advantage and I shall PM you her details in case you want to get in touch :)

That's perfect I will order some of that now!

They were everyday, I also found it very hard to inject him which probably caused more stress!

I will call my vet and ask about bisolvon, hopefully this works!

Thank you so much [emoji4]

:wave: sorry to hear Louis is snuffly. I have a bun, .Honey, who has had snuffles for years. A nebuliser worked well for her. I put a hole in a box for the piping, so she could sit there in peace.

She's always needed antibiotics for a number of weeks, and has metacam as well. It helps with the inflammation. Has Louis had metacam?

That's perfect I will order some of that now!

They were everyday, I also found it very hard to inject him which probably caused more stress!

I will call my vet and ask about bisolvon, hopefully this works!

Thank you so much [emoji4]

:D

I love his name :)

Yes injections aren't easy for any of us, but they become more manageable in time. Perhaps think about persisting with them - have a refresher with the vet nurse when you go in? Your stress will transfer to him, so you have to pretend to be brave :)

:wave: sorry to hear Louis is snuffly. I have a bun, .Honey, who has had snuffles for years. A nebuliser worked well for her. I put a hole in a box for the piping, so she could sit there in peace.

She's always needed antibiotics for a number of weeks, and has metacam as well. It helps with the inflammation. Has Louis had metacam?

Hello!

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to give nebulising a go (I have all the equipment) and he hasn't actually been on metecam before so I'll talk to my vet about that [emoji4]

:D

I love his name :)

Yes injections aren't easy for any of us, but they become more manageable in time. Perhaps think about persisting with them - have a refresher with the vet nurse when you go in? Your stress will transfer to him, so you have to pretend to be brave :)

Thank you! I wasn't too sure on it at first (boyfriend chose it) but now I love it [emoji4]

A refresher sounds like a good idea I'll talk to the vet on Monday about it when I give them a call.

I do need to pretend to be brave! Why is everything so much harder when it's your own pet haha!

Really appreciate all your advice! Already ordered the echinacea goldenseal [emoji4] let's hope that helps!

Thank you! I wasn't too sure on it at first (boyfriend chose it) but now I love it [emoji4]

A refresher sounds like a good idea I'll talk to the vet on Monday about it when I give them a call.

I do need to pretend to be brave! Why is everything so much harder when it's your own pet haha!

Really appreciate all your advice! Already ordered the echinacea goldenseal [emoji4] let's hope that helps!

I hope the echinacea and goldenseal help too :)

Let me know how Louis gets on :D

Hello!

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to give nebulising a go (I have all the equipment) and he hasn't actually been on metecam before so I'll talk to my vet about that [emoji4]

Hope all goes well with the nebulising. It's rare to find someone already set up with all the equipment :)

If your vet doesn't want to nebulise with antibiotics or anything, you can always use saline. It's very helpful.

Hope all goes well with the nebulising. It's rare to find someone already set up with all the equipment :)

If your vet doesn't want to nebulise with antibiotics or anything, you can always use saline. It's very helpful.

He actually seemed a lot better this morning! I'm going to use the e&g then if that doesn't work call my vet about nebulising! [emoji4]

Back