• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need some help ....

Dollymix

Young Bun
So I recently got a new Rex a few months back and I feel he is lonely so I want to get him a mate , I will not. E buying from a shop but rehoming a bunny that someone is selling , my question is can to innutered males live to gether happily ? I know some people say they will fight but if it was a really really slow introduction will they get on because I can't stand my rabbit being lonely ??????

A female would be easier to bond with your rabbit, perhaps a neutered rescue rabbit? Have you got a Rescue near where you live?

Personally I don't think I'd risk a same sex pairing unless you had a good contingency plan if they don't bond. Its lovely you are considering your buns emotional welfare. Are you planning to neuter him when he is older - if so I'd get him a mate after things has settled down post op

So I recently got a new Rex a few months back and I feel he is lonely so I want to get him a mate , I will not. E buying from a shop but rehoming a bunny that someone is selling , my question is can to innutered males live to gether happily ? I know some people say they will fight but if it was a really really slow introduction will they get on because I can't stand my rabbit being lonely ??????

Short answer - don't have two unneutered males together. It *may* work, but more than likely to be a friable relationship. At the very least have them both neutered and wait 3 months until their hormones have settled down :)

Short answer - don't have two unneutered males together. It *may* work, but more than likely to be a friable relationship. At the very least have them both neutered and wait 3 months until their hormones have settled down :)

I agree. When I was growing up I had unspayed females together and they lived in perfect harmony (I was probably lucky) but both times I tried having 2 unneutered males together they fought eventually. It was different times with different males, and they were babies when I got them so they had possibly been together their entire lives, but their hormones kicked in later on.

I feel like 2 unneutered males are unlikely to work and it could be dangerous trying if they were to fight when you weren't around.

Last edited:
Whatever combination of rabbits you have, the hormones of un-neutered rabbits will cause issues. When rabbits fight it is really nasty with serious (possibly life-threatening) injuries - not just a bit of a scuffle and fur pulling. I suggest you get him neutered first (and vaccinated if not already done), then look for a friend for him. Boys can be neutered from about 12 weeks, so he is probably OK to be done now. He will be happier without the urges and behaviour that come with an entire buck, and he will probably be much happier with a bunny friend.

I would not try and introduce another rabbit until then. The friend should also be neutered (boy or girl). Rescues are a good place to start looking. There are so many rabbits looking for rehoming - and they will probably be already neutered.

If you start a new thread asking for a 'Rabbit savvy vet needed in *your area*', you should get some good recommendations.
There are also rescue rabbits listed here to give you an idea of your local rescues: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

Back