• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Vaccinaton Testing

anon101

Banned
A tough subject I have recently come across is:

Rabbit's are tested on to see if Myxi and VHD vaccination's work and are safe to use on our pet buns.

http://www.rds-online.org.uk/

I've been looking into Homeopathic remedies to help prevent VHD, Mxyi and Pasturella in Rabbit's.

I think it’s morally wrong to vaccinate your bun's when other bun's have to suffer to see if the vaccine is safe etc. Saying that mine are done but when they’re next due I will seriously be considering the Homeopathic approach.

It seems so hypocritical that we boycott companies like Proctor and Gamble who test on animal's but then we get our animal's vaccinated with vaccine's that have been tested on animal's.

Strange world we live in!

What are people's views???

Louise

When human medical research comes up one arguement is that results of animal testing aren't reliable for human use. Instead we should test on people - which sounds logical. If you want drugs to exist for animals then there is going to be a need for testing of some kind on the animals they are for.

Vaccines already exist, not using them is likely to result in more animals suffering than not using them.

Homeopathic medicines need to be tested as much as non, if they are not how can will tell if they offer any protection?

Testing does not necesaily mean suffering. Giving x rabbits the standard vaccine and x the homeopathic and monitoring which get the disease is a form of testing too!

Tamsin

Louise I understand your thoughts on this subject, but vaccinations (despite possible health risks and ethically dilemas) are the only way to protect your bunny as far as possible.
I know that sometimes vaccinations can fail and rabbits occasionally develop problems post vaccination, but in over 400 rabbits, we have experienced few side affects and most of our bunnies have been aged 5 years plus and not in ideal health when vaccinated.
I think to personally have the experience of a bunny infected with full blown Myxomatosis or VHD is heartbreaking to out it mildly, and I for one am not prepared to take any risks by leaving the bunnies unvaccinated in the name of using Natural alternatives.
The homeopathic approach is a reasonable option say if for example your bunny had a severe reaction to a vaccine previously and you were advised it was unsafe for your bunny to be vaccinated the standard way in future.
All the current research supports the fact that vaccinations offer the highest level of protection available for your bunny, and although some vaccines may fail, or side affects develop, the majority of bunnies are routinely vaccinated and live long and healthy lives.

I believe lab Rabbits have actually been given Myxi etc and then vaccinated to see if the vaccine work's.

"Homeopathic medicines need to be tested as much as non, if they are not how can will tell if they offer any protection? "

The thing with Homeopathic remedie’s is there natural and has very minor if any side affects. They’re safer to use. Cheaper and less stressful for the animal.

Vaccine's have many side affect's, there not reliable as we have recently found out with the Mxyi vaccine, there expensive, its stressful to the buns giving them.

The company’s who make vaccines have got us in an iron grip. We don’t know any better. They make millions out of us. I know for a fact a rabbit vaccine on average costs around £2.00 to make/produce and our Vets charge us around £20.00 for it! There's got to be a con somewhere.

Homeopathic medicine has been proven to work in humans so I don’t see why it shouldn’t in animals. I am still looking into it for Rabbits, as I believe this is a relatively new thing for them.

I would be interested to know how many Rabbits actually died of Mxyi and VHD before the vaccines came out and how many still do. Anybody know where I should look for this info?

Louise

The thing with Homeopathic remedie's is there natural and have very minior if any side affects. There safer to use. Cheaper and less stressful for the animal.

I don't neccesarily mean side effects but whether the remedie actually prevents myxi/vhd. Currently there is no evidence either way so there is no way to tell whether homeopathic treatment is more, less or equally effective.

Homeopathic medicine has been proven to work in human's so I dont see why it should'nt in animals.

It might well do but I don't want to risk my rabbits to "might do" or "should dos". Baring in mind some drugs work on animals but don't on people, rabbits have different digestive mechanisms and metabolisms to humans and treatments would need to be adjusted for this. Without testing how can we tell what the correct adjustments are?

I'm not saying its not a viable alternative but I would want some sort of scientif evidence before betting my buns life on it.

Tam

Louise, could you point me to some research that the homoeopathic solution towards both myxi and VHD actually works? I have looked into this and was put off by the lack of suitable reference material to prove that it actually works.

A woman came into my shop the other day and told me none of her children have been vaccinated for anything...that is how epidemics are caused. Sensitive and interesting issue.

This is a heart wrenching topic and I also feel that its a terrible thought to think of bunnies being injected with these two viruses in the name of research but I think until there is a proven alternative which has the medical stamp of approval I just couldn't risk my buns to an alternative.

ellepotter said:
It seems so hypocritical that we boycott companies like Proctor and Gamble who test on animal's but then we get our animal's vaccinated with vaccine's that have been tested on animal's.
Louise

Interesting comment. What do you mean by the "we" boycott companies like Proctor and Gamble".

Would you describe yourself as an animal rights activist?

I think Louise may have been using the royal "we". Proctor and Gamble are probably the best known/biggest company associated with animal testing.

Would you describe yourself as an animal rights activist?

Thats quite a general term. Also bare in mind members affiliations to groups are entirely their own business.

Tam

Id love to use a homipathic vacine but whos rabbits are going to test it? How are you going to know if its works unless they are given mixi or vhd. I do not like testing on animals any more than anyone else but how would you do it.? val

Val you have got to the very heart of the dilema...who is going to risk their beloved bunnies to try and test the homeopathic nodules.
:?

In reality if anyone tried to do test this on a large scale and in a laboratory set up, there would be uproar from many quarters saying that it was wrong and not done with consideration to the bunnies welfare.

It is very well saying that alternatives to the standard practice are good to use, IF alternatives can be realistically offered and practical difficulties overcome to test them properly.
Unfortunately I do not believe this is the case at the current time, but we have to keep working towards change for the future, and hopefully someone forward thinking will throw up an answer as to how to proceed for the best., without putting bunnies lives at risk in the process.

I am happy to stay with the 98% plus success rate of the current vaccinations though, as 98 bunnies out of 100 saved from these vile diseases is worth what is realistically a minimal risk.

Tamsin it was a very valid question and I don't doubt that Louise is more than capabale of answering herself considering her verbose comments here.

I asked a specific question which was not a "general term at all". Again, Iam sure that Louise, who is very vocal, can manage to answer that without your help...

The question was put towards her in responce to a debate that she instigated. I think that she should be given the courtesy of replying.

Tht sounded really heavy and serious - sorry but my point is still valid, just did not want it to sound so serious!

I think this forum is for giving your opinions while accepting other peoples opinions may be different from yours and not superior. Nobody has taken away Louise's rite to reply, i find your aggressive acusory messages very offensive in this environment where we all air our opinions freely, Tamsin was not speaking on Louise's behalf anyway she speaks of her own volition nobody here believes Louise needs help to answer your messages Bob.

Hello sorry to interupt this thread, but I feel that the discussion is going away from the question posed by EllePotter originally, which was to do with testing vaccinations for rabbits.

We appreciate that you may feel very strongly about certain issues, and discussion is freely allowed, but if postings are becoming personalised and asking questions of Members that could possibly infringe their privacy then the Diplomats are at liberty to step in and offer advice where we can.

EllePotter can answer your Questions Bob if she so wishes, but please can Members be careful not to inadvertently corner other Members into discussing things that they may, or may not wish to remain confidential.

The Forum is not the place for challenging people to present personal information, just a general debate amongst rabbit loving friends and associates.
Please remember that the Forum Charter asks you to show respect for other Forum Members, whatever their personal beliefs.
Thank you :D
Please continue the debate, as it is a very interesting topic.

I'm sure Louise will answer for herself too :)

Perhaps I could have explained better, when I said general term I intended to remind people that a single term for something can lead to misconceptions. For example, we have recently found out how refering to all people that produce rabbits as breeders without any qualification can lead to offence. Similarly peoples ideas of what an animal rights activist is no doubt vary. So if Louise simply answers yes/no to your question what she thinks she is defining herself as might be very different to what you, I or other forum members think that means.

I hope that explains it a little better. I'm just trying to anticipate possible problems in advance so we can keep discussions going smoothly :D

Tam

Adele, the point i was making was if you have a treatment for anything how do you know if it works, if you want to use a completly natural remedy for say mixi how are you going to know it works unless your rabbit gets mixi, on the whole i dont agree with testing but if none were ever done were would we be. val

I have just spent ages working on a reply and then told to shut it. i DO NOT agree with the closure of this debate. If you wanna get dictorial then make it consistant. Sheesh and I thought breeder debates were cencored!

BUT I will comply and not post my reply

We haven't told members not to post/discuss any topic just asked that you be careful about the way you do it/asking personal questions. Nor have we removed any postings or dictated what people can discuss.

I'm confused why you think we are censoring or in what way we have been inconsistant.

Tamsin

Bob, nobody told you to shut it :lol: and nobody said they were going to close it either UNLESS it starts to offend individuals, what's wrong with that. I think it would be a shame to cut this topic at this point due to pettiness. Surely we can all toe the line and remain civil to each other?

Back