• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Passed Away for Unknown Reason - Help

srutijam

New Kit
Hello!

I used to be a rabbit owner until last night when he suddenly passed away. To make matters worse, I'm out of the country for a while so I personally can't tend to it. I can't even begin to describe how special he was to my friends and I (he was my best friends' and I's college pet. We all lived with and cared for him) and how much we'll miss him.

For the past 1.5 month, he had been making a sneezing/wheezing noise fairly constantly. Worried that it may be a respiratory infection, I took him to the vet about a month ago. The vet (who specializes in rabbits - I don't doubt their abilities to help rabbits at all) didn't recognize any other symptoms of an infection and didn't notice anything else that was of concern. I took the vet's suggestions into consideration and changed some of his diet and bedding so there would be less dust around him. Meanwhile, I watched for other signs of an infection. He never had any discharge from the eyes or nose, was always active, and ate all of his food.

He was approximately 9 years old and was a male New Zealand rabbit. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why he passed away so suddenly?

Thanks in advance.

I cannot give you any advice - but I did want to send you my thoughts and condolences over the loss of your kind and lovely rabbit friend.

So sad :( I'm sorry for your loss.
It could be any number of reason unfortunately. Was he eating/drinking/pooping normally before he passed?
Xxx

I'm sorry for your loss.

Sadly, I don't think anyone is going to have much idea as to what happened. If you'd like answers, the best option is to have a post mortem on his body, but this doesn't gaurentee they'll find a cause.

Was he fully vaccinated again myxomatosis, RHD and the new RHD2?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

How tragic :cry: As has been mentioned a PM examination may have shed some light on the cause of death, there are so many possibilities and anything we suggest would be pure conjecture.

Hello!

I used to be a rabbit owner until last night when he suddenly passed away. To make matters worse, I'm out of the country for a while so I personally can't tend to it. I can't even begin to describe how special he was to my friends and I (he was my best friends' and I's college pet. We all lived with and cared for him) and how much we'll miss him.

For the past 1.5 month, he had been making a sneezing/wheezing noise fairly constantly. Worried that it may be a respiratory infection, I took him to the vet about a month ago. The vet (who specializes in rabbits - I don't doubt their abilities to help rabbits at all) didn't recognize any other symptoms of an infection and didn't notice anything else that was of concern. I took the vet's suggestions into consideration and changed some of his diet and bedding so there would be less dust around him. Meanwhile, I watched for other signs of an infection. He never had any discharge from the eyes or nose, was always active, and ate all of his food.

He was approximately 9 years old and was a male New Zealand rabbit. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why he passed away so suddenly?

Thanks in advance.

I am so sorry you lost your rabbit :(

He sounds to have been very well loved and he lived to a very good age for a New Zealand.

Without a post mortem, it's impossible to even hazard a guess at what his issues were.

I believe so! I even took him to the vet with his litter box. She looked at his poops and determined they looked normal. His eating/drinking habits didn't seem abnormal. He ate everything I gave him like usual.

Thanks for the reply!

He was not vaccinated against those things as far as I know (he had at least one previous owner). I will definitely look into those things to see what they are/if he had any symptoms of them before he passed. We unfortunately didn't have much money to afford regular vet visits but took him whenever there was something abnormal.

We had him cremated today so we also unfortunately can't get that post mortem done :(

Thanks for the reply, though

I believe so! I even took him to the vet with his litter box. She looked at his poops and determined they looked normal. His eating/drinking habits didn't seem abnormal. He ate everything I gave him like usual.

Thanks for the reply!

Aaww you're welcome x So upsetting :(

Back