PDA

View Full Version : 13 year old rabbit requires dental work. advice needed!

MissMinnie
01-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Our 13 year old saw the vet today for a check up and it was discovered he has some spikes on his teeth that need to be dealt with. We don't know what do to. I'm not sure how he would cope with the GA.

daphnephoebe
01-02-2017, 09:18 PM
For your peace of mind I would ask the vets to run a blood test to check the kidney function, and request he is on fluid therapy before, during and after the procedure.

Sadly, dental spurs can not be left as they will just continue to get worse to the point that he will stop eating.

The reason I would request a kidney function test is because his kidneys are what will be having to process the anaesthetic out of his system. The fluid therapy will also help the anaesthetic leave the system, meaning a quicker recovery.

I'd want him to be on gut stimulant medications as soon as he wakes up (if the vet can start them before the anaesthetic this may be better but I'm not sure if there would be much benefit).
Also ensuring he has good pain relief before the procedure starts will help encourage eating when he recovers.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

joey&boo
01-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Congratulations on having a bun reach such a great age. Was there any change to his eating preferences or was it just a routine check. I can understand your worries. If a GA & dental were (& probably are) your only option I'd probably risk my bunny not making it rather than risk him being in pain. I'd want a really savvy vet on the job & bloods done first. What did your vet recommend? x

Tamsin
01-02-2017, 10:15 PM
If his bloods do come back showing any issues some vets will do some dental work to the back teeth on a conscious rabbit, but not many are trained in it so it might be an extra journey to find one.

Bunny Buddy
01-02-2017, 10:16 PM
No advice beyond that already given, just good wishes to offer.

I have to ask - is Phoebe still with you? Tinks is still here, blind for cataracts (EC) but otherwise in good nick for a nine year old.

MightyMax
01-02-2017, 10:26 PM
Our 13 year old saw the vet today for a check up and it was discovered he has some spikes on his teeth that need to be dealt with. We don't know what do to. I'm not sure how he would cope with the GA.

With my 14 year old rabbit there is no way she would have a GA.

I would find a vet who is experienced in doing 'conscious dentals' so that there is no GA issue at all. I just wouldn't risk it.

I am *heavily* criticised for allowing a vet to work on my rabbit's teeth without a GA, but there has never been any pain above mild discomfort and of course no recovery time.

Good luck!

MissMinnie
02-02-2017, 06:03 AM
Sadly not. She had an ongoing ear infection that made her a target for flies during a heatwave. I kept finding the fly eggs in her coat and tried my best but one morning there was evidence of fly strike around her ear so she was put to sleep. There is a bit more to it and its a long story...... I think it was 3 years ago. Pleased to hear Phoebe's sister is doing well. Its good to hear from you!

The 13 year old is one of my original ones. I was shocked to hear about his teeth. Think the vet doesn't advise the dental because he is so old. Think I need to maybe phone another vet.

Shimmer
02-02-2017, 07:04 AM
You could monitor him carefully - weigh weekly, increase hay input, check teeth again in a couple of weeks, etc. It depends on how bad the spurs are - if they start causing discomfort and affect his eating, I would probably go down the route of blood test for kidney function and then get the teeth done anyway. If he starts losing weight and is in pain from the spurs, there's not much alternative. Or he may be maintaining his weight and the spurs are not bothering him at the moment so just keep monitoring.

I've been there with a 9 year old and was prepared to lose him under GA at each (essential) dental, but he was fine with GAs and gut meds, syringe feeding, etc afterwards.

Even a conscious dental may not be suitable for a rabbit if he is going to be too stressed with the procedure. The stress alone may bring on gut stasis or a heart attack, so it would need to be discussed in depth with that vet.

olices
02-02-2017, 07:15 AM
I can't give any more advice apart from the great advice given. I had exactly the same with my 13 year old bunny 6 years ago but we had to let her go on advice from our fab vet, she also had a few other ailments.Every bunny is different tho and I really hope that the teeth can be sorted, 13 is a great age, wishing you lots of vibes for a positive outcome x

MissMinnie
07-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Chino had the dental done today and came through the anaesthetic. He is stopping at the vets overnight. Fingers crossed he can recover.

keletkezes
07-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Best wishes for him :)

Fluffybunny54
07-02-2017, 07:19 PM
Best wishes and healing vibes for brave Chino and brave you. xxxxx

MightyMax
07-02-2017, 07:28 PM
Chino had the dental done today and came through the anaesthetic. He is stopping at the vets overnight. Fingers crossed he can recover.

Wonderful news :D

Vibes for Chino x

MissMinnie
07-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Thank you. He has been eating and is on some pain relief. I'm hoping we can fetch him home tomorrow. I will set up an enclosure in the conservatory with his companion .

Omi
07-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Brilliant news :D

joey&boo
07-02-2017, 07:46 PM
aww, what a brave old soldier. Many vibes for his recovery

mini lop1
07-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Missed this, sending speedy get well vibes x

weedug
08-02-2017, 07:38 AM
Sending vibes for a speedy recovery

martlou
08-02-2017, 07:44 AM
Lots of vibes for a speedy recovery x

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Ruthyjones89
08-02-2017, 07:45 AM
Topping up the vibes for him & hope he has a speedy recovery xx

Jack's-Jane
08-02-2017, 07:46 AM
How is Chino doing this morning ?

MightyMax
08-02-2017, 10:51 AM
I hope Chino is recovering well and having lot of well earned rest! x

MissMinnie
08-02-2017, 08:22 PM
Thanks everyone. I fetched him home this morning. He is eating lots of food and everything seems ok. There were some sharp spikes so the dental was necessary. I can't believe how well he has done. Just need him to put a bit of weight back on.

Fluffybunny54
08-02-2017, 08:27 PM
So pleased for you and Chino. It's wonderful news. Sounds like you've got a fantastic vet.

MightyMax
08-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Thanks everyone. I fetched him home this morning. He is eating lots of food and everything seems ok. There were some sharp spikes so the dental was necessary. I can't believe how well he has done. Just need him to put a bit of weight back on.

He's done really well :)

Hopefully you can fatten him up a bit with a few extra pellets or porridge oats?

olices
08-02-2017, 09:18 PM
Well done Chino, hoping the recovery continues to go well xx

bunny momma
08-02-2017, 11:15 PM
It is good to know Chino was able to handle the dental so well as a 13 year old.

lordigger93
11-02-2017, 08:19 PM
hey our rabbit has reoccurring issues with his teeth. he has been fine under GA. the first time his teeth were so bad we had to feed him baby food through a syringe but now it has been a year since his teeth were done and he is much happier especially being outside x

MightyMax
11-02-2017, 08:59 PM
hey our rabbit has reoccurring issues with his teeth. he has been fine under GA. the first time his teeth were so bad we had to feed him baby food through a syringe but now it has been a year since his teeth were done and he is much happier especially being outside x

That's good!

Welcome to the forum :)