• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnys sleep?

touie

Wise Old Thumper
After looking at that litter tray use poll and seeing the sleeping option I started thinking. I've had rabbits for about 6 years and I've never seen one sleep :? So I was wondering whether anyone else has seem a rabbit asleep???

Hi Touie, and yes I have seen bunnies flat out asleep, and dreaming away no doubt :lol:
I think that for most of the time though Bunnies just take short naps and dose on their feet.
As they are prey animals they cannot afford to be sleeping too much, but once they entrust their Mummy or Daddy (of the Human kind) to keep a watchful eye out for them, then House rabbits especially tend to zonk out properly.
I rarely see bunnies outside sleeping for long though....so this is a good reason to bring your bunny into the house, so it can have a proper deep sleep for once :lol:

i can safely say that Mubby sleeps!!

throws himself down , legs out straight behind him and front legs to the side , one ear over the eye usually! ( big lugs come in handy :wink: )

and he is certainly asleep! lol :lol:

lazy Mub :lol:

Mine sleep, one in particular he is a chin dwarf lop and when we go to shows he promptly goes to sleep, having to be woken up when its his turn to be looked at . Following this back to sleep he goes. He is a heavy sleeper and takes some waking up this he takes after me. val :) :)

I've never seen Truffle or Harvey sleep but I've often seen Bambi out for the count. Sometimes he really freaks me out as he is so relaxed he looks as if he's dead! :shock:

Hi there,

Well if you owned a breed like the lazy 'ole French Lop like i do, then you'd certainly know the answer to that one, as its what they like doing best!

Bunnyboarding said:
Hi there,

Well if you owned a breed like the lazy 'ole French Lop like i do, then you'd certainly know the answer to that one, as its what they like doing best!

:lol: :lol: you are so right Cheryl!!....and our British Giant is a bit of a dreamer too...... as are our Rexes, Netherland dwarfs. Angoras and Lionhead :lol: :lol:

my french lop Baby is funny when she goes to sleep. You basically just hear a loud thud as she throws herself to the floor & immed goes to sleep. she really stretches out too, right on her side. Her partner Bazil just watches over her but I don't think he actually goes to sleep. xx

roo likes to sleep on the sofa, only things is you not allowed to be on it. he likes to stretch out, head on cushion, paw over eyes and bam out he goes. Have tried to be sneeky and sit at the other end but no he opens his eyes gives me THAT look and jumps off and flops on the floor, big sigh as if to say i was so comfy and YOU disturbed me. :D

victoria bradley said:
my french lop Baby is funny when she goes to sleep. You basically just hear a loud thud as she throws herself to the floor & immed goes to sleep. she really stretches out too, right on her side.

Hehe, & then my heart starts pounding 'cos i think ones just died ! :roll:

Especially when you can't wake them up to begin with & they're slumped over the food bowl!! :lol:

My rabbit often stretches out with legs out but i never seen him close his eyes.. guess he's a more nervous rabbit than what some of you have.
Chris

my french lop sumtimes sleeps spread out on his front like a animal pelt rug, he rests his chin on the floor. My up eared bun however always seems to have her ears up ands looks alert, maybe on his behalf? :lol:

I have quite a few deep sleepers. Chloe flops over then goes out for the count, normally with one ear right over her face. She sometimes has quite a deep sleep and won't hear me moving about. Monty meatloafs himself rather than stretching out and he dreams quite alot, he wobbles about makes all sorts of weird noises and his eyes are shut tight but twitching, his lips twitch about as well.
Angel flops out and then lies with his head on the floor beside one paw and if woken up he won't let you know, he stays in same postition but watches you. Don't think I have ever seen any of the others asleep in that way.

Angela

Buggsy & Cookie both flip out their back legs and fall asleep, Buggsy is funny he really gets comfy on the carpet and twists his neck right round to find a comfy position, once settled he sleeps quite deeply, I havent had Cookie long but she is so so similar to Buggsy I am sure she is the same, I will see in the winter when I have them in for runs about!

Nearly asleep 'stop looking at me'

DSCF0064.jpg

:p :p :p kara I want COOKIE :!: :!: :shock: :p ...are you planning on rehoming her, now that you will be busy being Mrs Francis :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back