• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Surviving Rabbit

justagimmick

New Kit
Sorry if this isn't the right place for this post.

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.

I lost one of my rabbits this morning; I knew it was coming (she'd lost a 3rd of her body weight recently and stopped eating last night). She was 7.5 years old. She leaves behind her hutch mate and thats who I need some help with.

My rabbits are kept outdoors, have got a rabbit proof garden with free roaming during the day. Lilly passed away in her hutch, I think she may have been dead for a few hours before I got up this morning, so Snuffles was with her and had a few hours alone - from what I've read this is the best way for a rabbit to accept loss. Her body has now been taken for cremation, but I'm worried about Snuffles.

They have been bonded since I got Lilly in August 2009. They weren't litter mates, but both were born in May 2009. He is without her for the first time ever - even for vets visits and stays they always went together.

I do not want anymore rabbits - so bonding Snuffs with a new bun is not an option for me now. How do I make sure he is happy? I've brought him inside in a temporary run so I can sit with him. He's eating and seems normal; I know they grieve differently from us.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I don't want to cause him distress.

Thanks in advance.

I am very sorry for your loss. In my experience most rabbits cope well with the loss of their partner although your two were together for quite a while. I am sure your bunny will adapt to being on his own now but I am not sure whether bringing him indoors is a good idea in this cold weather unless you intend to keep him in until the weather warms up. Rabbits don't cope well with differences in temperature. I am sure he would probably prefer to be outside like he's always been if you don't want to keep him in till Spring. I would just keep an eye on him but usually they accept their loss better than we do.

Thank you.

I am torn between keeping him inside or not. He actually doesn't seem too happy inside so I think leaving him be is probably better. I'm just so worried about him being lonely - if it were summer it wouldn't be so bad cause we would be outside more.

I know what you mean. He could live for another 3 years or so. Just thought I would remind you :lol:

Oh, I would like that very much if he did! I'm just heartbroken for myself, him and the rest of my family. She was very special.

Have you got anywhere indoors which is colder such as a conservatory or kitchen, so it's not too much of an adjustment but he also gets company. Once the weather warms up and he gets used to it you could bring him into your lounge and then next winter his coat will adjust accordingly so can be an indoor rabbit :)

Unfortunately not, we have decided to keep him as an outdoor bunny. He seems ok at the moment.

One thing I have noticed is around is eyes they look wet. Not gunky, but almost like he's been crying? I know they used to clean around each others eyes. Is there any way I can help him with it? Worried they may get sore.

I would pop him to the vets as runny eyes can mean issues with his teeth. Doughnut is on her own and she doesn't get watery eyes and has no one to clean them.

Back