• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking a bun into a nursery.

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all

I've been asked about the possibility of taking a bun into my child's nursery as part of their topic on pets.

I'm just wondering whether this would be stressful for the rabbit. I have 7, so I would obviously choose carefully, but I don't want to upset them at all.

The teacher has ensured that the children would be sat quietly in a circle so as not to scare them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks x

Hi all

I've been asked about the possibility of taking a bun into my child's nursery as part of their topic on pets.

I'm just wondering whether this would be stressful for the rabbit. I have 7, so I would obviously choose carefully, but I don't want to upset them at all.

The teacher has ensured that the children would be sat quietly in a circle so as not to scare them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks x

I think it depends entirely on the individual Rabbit. All mine would absolutely hate it, including the travelling aspect. But there may be some Rabbits who are very chilled out about travelling and being in strange environments :)

When I studied my Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector course I had to give a 'micro-teach' session and I chose to make this around the care of rabbits. I volunteered for a rescue at the time so had video footage of baby bunnies from the rescue. I had 11 rabbits of my own and did take one of them to the presentation to demonstrate how to pick up and hold a rabbit.

Pumpkin was a very laid back nethie and enjoyed the attention. He didn't stress when being kept in a carrier and just sat quietly throughout the class - which was an evening class, not a whole day. The presentation went down really well and I received top marks :):)

It wasn't a large class - ten students, all adults - and I had lots of bunnies to choose from at the time. I wouldn't have done it with any of my current three.

You know your bunnies. If one of them is more adventurous and would enjoy a change of environment and being made a fuss of I would go for it. If they would all get stressed then I'd take a soft bunny instead :)

Thanks both. I have one in mind that I think would be ok with it, but I'm going to have a think about whether it's worth the risk. The last thing I need at the moment is more ill buns.

Just to add, it's a small class and the car journey is very short x

Can you take 2 buns in? It may make the buns more chilled to have each other, will teach the kids that they are better with company, and halve the amount of handling per rabbit (or give you an option of which is coping best and leave the other one in a carrier).

Hi all

Any thoughts?

Thanks x

It totally depends on the individual rabbit. I had a rabbit who was well known as a 'therapy' rabbit, and enjoyed it tremendously. I've also one now who would enjoy it - not all do though and I would put the needs of the rabbit first (as I'm sure you would!)

The rabbit/s would have to be up to date with their vaccinations, and talk through with the staff the position if one of them bit one of the children. You may not let them near enough to them, but things can happen ..

My own 3 I wouldn't put in that situation but my current foster trio would be fine - they've previously been at a promotional event for the rescue and weren't phased at all by all the people and dogs milling around them. They were in a puppy pen with a tunnel available for them to hide if they wanted although they spent a lot of the day noseying at everything that was going on around them! Maybe a trio or pair would be best? I think it should be fine as long as any contact with the rabbit(s) (if the children will even be allowed to touch or handle the bunnies) is well controlled and calm, and you know the bunny well enough to spot if they are unhappy.

I took Louie into preschool when I worked there. I took a puppy pen and his littertray and sat with him.

The children were so good! they each came into the puppy pen with me and Louie, stroked him gently and Louie was absolutely fine with it all!

Back