• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit run mesh

Jayniekinns

Young Bun
Hello,

So Maisy will be getting an upgrade soon to a wooden play house so I thought I would also upgrade her run and make her a new one.
Just wondering what mesh is the best value to get for the run and where from? As I obviously want it to be good enough so she can't get out and nothing can get in but as she has quite a long run I also don't want it to burst the bank.

We will all have different ideas.
My run I used 1" square mesh and built my run to suit it. 40" wide roll and 30m long I think. So i built my run to match the width of the roll to save one wire cutting job.
My cat can get a paw through 1", so for full peace of mind consider 1/2" squares.
If maisy is in her house at night, you don't need to worry too much about very thick wire, not too many foxes around during daylight hours etc.
As for price, shop around I am afraid. It is worth looking on ebay

1" square is not safe enough as a fox can tear it off. Lots of forum members have had foxes in their gardens during the day! 1" x 1/2" is the norm on most runs.

1x1/2" is best, 16 or 19 guage (g) weldmesh. Avoid chicken wire and other mesh, or weldmesh that isn't as strong as it is easier for the rabbit to bite through it, or for a predator to get in.

I got mine from Amazon or eBay in the past, from Easipet.

1" square is not safe enough as a fox can tear it off. Lots of forum members have had foxes in their gardens during the day! 1" x 1/2" is the norm on most runs.
I am not convinced that 1" x 1/2" is that much different from 1" x 1" where a foxes mouth is concerned. It is important that wire is not just stapled onto wood but has a batten screwed over the top to form a sandwich.

One way to money save is to use finer mesh lower down. The 1" is not as good because animals can reach through it, but it's fine to keep rabbit's from escaping. So you can use that above 2' ish in height (depending on your bun) where the rabbits won't be in reach anyway. Then go for finer stuff (1"x 1/2" or less) on the bottom.

The thickness of mesh is measured in guages, 19g is standard, but you want 16g if foxes are likely to be an issue.

Then attaching it carefully, with plenty of staples and into tough wood is the other thing, screwing through with battens sounds another way to add strength too - good idea.

If you have a handle wall, then attaching the run to it and using the wall as the 4th side is a good way to save too :)

I am not convinced that 1" x 1/2" is that much different from 1" x 1" where a foxes mouth is concerned. It is important that wire is not just stapled onto wood but has a batten screwed over the top to form a sandwich.
I always had 1" x 1/2" on rabbit cages. Foxes struggled.
As soon as I had 1" x 1" on the ferret cage foxes managed to get enough room to rip one of my ferrets front legs off although they never managed to get in thankfully. (He survived and was much happier on three legs bless him)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the responses, I think I would put the same size all the way round and on top as I don't seem to have any foxes (not risking it though) but I do have red kites flying about and I have seen them swoop down before.
Think the batons to strengthen mesh are a good way to go aswell :)

The batons just give that extra bit of resistance if something was pulling or pushing the wire, staple the wire but screw e baton down and make sure the screws are within a mesh square.

Back