• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Sitting Service in Surrey/SW London?

Squishies

Warren Scout
I'm going away in Feb/March for a couple of weeks and my friends that usually come in and feed the furries are not able to help me this time :(

I'm happy to pay for bunny care and have looked at bunny boarding but even though my buns are vaccinated I am very nervous of them catching something like EC from a hutch that other rabbits have been in...

Does anyone know of any reliable and bunny-friendly pet sitters in the Surrey/South West London area? (I'm in Richmond)

Thank you!

Marie, Honey & Einstein
x x x

I'm going away in Feb/March for a couple of weeks and my friends that usually come in and feed the furries are not able to help me this time :(

I'm happy to pay for bunny care and have looked at bunny boarding but even though my buns are vaccinated I am very nervous of them catching something like EC from a hutch that other rabbits have been in...

Does anyone know of any reliable and bunny-friendly pet sitters in the Surrey/South West London area? (I'm in Richmond)

Thank you!

Marie, Honey & Einstein
x x x

Hi Marie

I hope you manage to find somewhere. What places have you looked at?

Hutches are usually disinfected after each occupant (ask the facility). You will also want to ensure that the owner is extremely rabbit savvy and the accommodation spacious :D

Thanks both!
I've looked at "Bunny Bunkhouse" bunnybunkhouse.co.uk , "Katie's Bunny Boarding" katiesbunnyboarding.com and "Barks and Bunnies" barksandbunnies.co.uk
...anyone have any experience of any of these?
Everything says it's disinfected, but I guess my question is about how effective against things like bacteria and EC spores that would be?

I still think I'd be safer finding a lovely local sitter, there must be some, I just need to find them! -- my naughty pair are very spoilt for space here with an aviary style hutch/run and lots of free roaming when I'm here and can supervise; I think girl bunny would go berserk in a standard size hutch... much gnawing would occur!!

Marie
x

I shop from Barks and Bunnies and the owner Amy is lovely. They're very knowledgeable and the most friendly group of people I've ever spoken to.

Ask which disinfection products they use - things like Anigene HLVD4 and F10 are effective against bacteria. Anigene also still works if there is natural products still in the hutch and isn't deactivated like some disinfectants.

I use Bunny Boarders in Ely, but not sure if that is too far away from you?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks both!
I've looked at "Bunny Bunkhouse" bunnybunkhouse.co.uk , "Katie's Bunny Boarding" katiesbunnyboarding.com and "Barks and Bunnies" barksandbunnies.co.uk
...anyone have any experience of any of these?
Everything says it's disinfected, but I guess my question is about how effective against things like bacteria and EC spores that would be?

I still think I'd be safer finding a lovely local sitter, there must be some, I just need to find them! -- my naughty pair are very spoilt for space here with an aviary style hutch/run and lots of free roaming when I'm here and can supervise; I think girl bunny would go berserk in a standard size hutch... much gnawing would occur!!

Marie
x

Have you had any luck finding a sitter yet, Marie? x

Hey! No, sadly not : ( ...I even asked at the vets on Monday (we had the RHD2 vaccine, and one of us (boy bun) was very grumpy about it!), but it was mostly cat and dog sitters on their lists. I may call some to see if they also do smaller furries, but in the meantime I registered with care.com to see who is registered as a local pet sitter -- actually, there is a handful, so now I just need to follow-up/investigate with each. ...would still be much happier to take a recommendation or pay a fellow RU member nearby, so still very much open to any contacts anyone has!

Thank you for asking : )

Marie + the grumpies
x x

Hey! No, sadly not : ( ...I even asked at the vets on Monday (we had the RHD2 vaccine, and one of us (boy bun) was very grumpy about it!), but it was mostly cat and dog sitters on their lists. I may call some to see if they also do smaller furries, but in the meantime I registered with care.com to see who is registered as a local pet sitter -- actually, there is a handful, so now I just need to follow-up/investigate with each. ...would still be much happier to take a recommendation or pay a fellow RU member nearby, so still very much open to any contacts anyone has!

Thank you for asking : )

Marie + the grumpies
x x

the grumpies :lol:

Which vet did you go to in Richmond?

I would recommend The Rabbit Criossing in Windlesham. The hutches are enormous and you won't get anyone more knowledgeable to look after your buns. I am extremely fussy with who mine go to and Helen is one of the only people I trust to look after my lot.

Trigene kills EC spores by the way :thumb:

I would recommend The Rabbit Criossing in Windlesham. The hutches are enormous and you won't get anyone more knowledgeable to look after your buns. I am extremely fussy with who mine go to and Helen is one of the only people I trust to look after my lot.

Trigene kills EC spores by the way :thumb:

Yes I think Helen is amazing.
But I've heard that recently she isn't taking on any more boarders for the foreseeable? Hopefully I'll be proved wrong :)

Ha! Well, girl bunny has come upstairs and is currently nose-bumping the laptop as I type... apparently, ignoring whatever game they are playing downstairs (I think it is called "destroy the lounge") is most unacceptable!

...Richmond Vets, on the Kew Road - generally pretty good I have found, with a couple of the guys there having sound bunny knowledge. There is also a Vets4Pets nearby, so I ought to see if they have had any 'contact cards' left by anyone there too. Are you local-ish/d'you know the area at all?

Thanks so much for the boarding recommendation, Catherine, I'll take a look - I have found Helen's facebook page for the sanctuary, but it looks like she's (understandably) not taking boarders at the moment, due to caring for a very ill family member. It sounds really tough.

Mx

Ha! Well, girl bunny has come upstairs and is currently nose-bumping the laptop as I type... apparently, ignoring whatever game they are playing downstairs (I think it is called "destroy the lounge") is most unacceptable!

...Richmond Vets, on the Kew Road - generally pretty good I have found, with a couple of the guys there having sound bunny knowledge. There is also a Vets4Pets nearby, so I ought to see if they have had any 'contact cards' left by anyone there too. Are you local-ish/d'you know the area at all?

Thanks so much for the boarding recommendation, Catherine, I'll take a look - I have found Helen's facebook page for the sanctuary, but it looks like she's (understandably) not taking boarders at the moment, due to caring for a very ill family member. It sounds really tough.

Mx

Richmond vets is excellent :thumb:

I know Karl, but I hear Daisy is very good with rabbits too :)

Thanks so much Sarah & MightyMax! (MM, apologies, I don't know your human name!)

MM, yes, Karl is really knowledgeable and the young lady (I think maybe Daisy!) I have met there is incredibly conscientious. The buns were previously under the care of Sean, who was brilliant, but he has since moved... Are you local, MM? Are you involved with the local rescue, ARC at all? (I'd quite like to help/volunteer at some point if there is something, even transport, that would be of use to them!)

...anyway, back to bunny sitting - I've had a really nice response to my pet care ad on care.com from a local girl, in Petersham who has fairly recently finished her studies in pet care and works in the field professionally. We spoke over the phone yesterday and she seems really switched on to what is required for the squishies and can do 2 visits a day; she's coming over to meet us on Sunday so fingers crossed she is as lovely as she sounds in person and I can give her the job! -- will keep you posted -- : )

I'm going away early/mid March - very excited to get some sunshine and get in the water (I teach scuba outside of my 'real' job), but will also be very excited to return, as when I get back I will be picking up a little rescue bunny that I have reserved, ready to settle in and then start the mayhem of bonding! Bonding diaries and advice at the ready.... excited-scared-excited-scared!

Have a great week both!
Mx

Thanks so much Sarah & MightyMax! (MM, apologies, I don't know your human name!)

MM, yes, Karl is really knowledgeable and the young lady (I think maybe Daisy!) I have met there is incredibly conscientious. The buns were previously under the care of Sean, who was brilliant, but he has since moved... Are you local, MM? Are you involved with the local rescue, ARC at all? (I'd quite like to help/volunteer at some point if there is something, even transport, that would be of use to them!)

...anyway, back to bunny sitting - I've had a really nice response to my pet care ad on care.com from a local girl, in Petersham who has fairly recently finished her studies in pet care and works in the field professionally. We spoke over the phone yesterday and she seems really switched on to what is required for the squishies and can do 2 visits a day; she's coming over to meet us on Sunday so fingers crossed she is as lovely as she sounds in person and I can give her the job! -- will keep you posted -- : )

I'm going away early/mid March - very excited to get some sunshine and get in the water (I teach scuba outside of my 'real' job), but will also be very excited to return, as when I get back I will be picking up a little rescue bunny that I have reserved, ready to settle in and then start the mayhem of bonding! Bonding diaries and advice at the ready.... excited-scared-excited-scared!

Have a great week both!
Mx

I second that - Sean was really good. He was a locum vet at Twickenham Vet Surgery for a good long while, but then gave up, much to my disappointment! I knew he had been working at Richmond Vet :)

You have an interesting life Marie!

I'll PM you my name and where I am etc :D

I'm glad you've found someone who looks good. I hope that works out and puts your mind at rest x

Hi Marie, that's so great you are having that rescue rabbit! Exciting!
Sounds great your holiday!
I luckily have a local pet shop whose daughter is a dog walker/bunny feeder so she comes over and does the 4 buns, 2 cats and 2 guineas. Mostly my friend comes though, even easier. Good luck with the bunny sitter!
Sarah x

Back