• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Olly please :(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
My poor boy is really struggling with his blasted ears, I really wish I could get him some new ones :( he has had a 10 day course of baytril for an infection in his tilted ear, but it is no better. He is now only eating certain herbs/greens, it hurts him to open his mouth wider for pellets etc :( he is on a massive dose of metacam, but he is still in pain as he is tooth grinding :( we have another appointment tomorrow night, but in all honesty, I don't know what they can do. We can't give him ear drops as the vet can't see right down his ears as they are so narrow. He may have a perforated eardrum. Maybe a different antibiotic is the only hope, I think :( hate seeing him suffer.

Can you maybe ask your vet for tramadol? When my honey had an ear infection, metacam wasn't enough either so went on to a much higher pain relief which really helped!

Also have they actually confirmed its an ear infection? If so, he needs a lot stronger anti-biotics as this will help fight the infection. Would your vet consider a CT scan to help pin point how far the infection has spread, if it's middle or inner?

Topping up the vibes for him Xx

Can you maybe ask your vet for tramadol? When my honey had an ear infection, metacam wasn't enough either so went on to a much higher pain relief which really helped!

Also have they actually confirmed its an ear infection? If so, he needs a lot stronger anti-biotics as this will help fight the infection. Would your vet consider a CT scan to help pin point how far the infection has spread, if it's middle or inner?

Topping up the vibes for him Xx

Thanks, the vet could see pus near the bottom of his ear, so assuming it must be infection... I don't think I could afford a CT scan, even if it were an option :( Olly is insured, but his ears aren't covered :( he has actually perked up tonight, just finished his tea and is munching Hay now, bless him x

Yeah it does sound like an ear infection! Poor little mite! :(

So does he have a head tilt? If so, I'm guessing it's very likely to be a middle or inner ear infection so he'll defo need stronger anti-biotics as unfortunately baytril won't touch it! Could you maybe speak to your vet about getting him onto some septrin or penacillin? You could also try chlorophenical ear drops?

I know only too well what it's like for you as my little lop has a very narrow left ear and also battling an outer ear infection. Is there any way the vet would be willing to have him under GA to have a look and even clean some of the pus out as I can Imagine this is very irritable and painful!

Is he still eating pellets? As these are hard they can be painful for them to chew so it might help if you soften them slightly? Xx

I'm glad he has perked up a bit. Maybe penicillin injections & tramadol. A millions vibes for Olly x

Definitely try a different antibiotic. Like already suggested Penicillin or Septrin would be good choices. You could also try Doxycyline (Ronaxan). It's hard to know which antibiotic will work so if Baytril isn't working then change it. Baytril is also known to be ineffective against anaerobic bacteria which is often found in inner ear infections so that's another reason to change it up :) Join the Help for Head Tilt Hoppers page on fb if you haven't already. X

Sending loads of vibes for Olly. Poor boy :(

It does sound as though changing the antibiotic and giving him a stronger type of pain relief would help. I'm glad to see also your update that he's eaten his tea and some hay.

I hope the vet appointment goes well tomorrow night.

I have no experience of ear infections in bunnies, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry to hear that Olly is going through this. Sending him millions of healing vibes for his poorly ears

Could the vet swab it to determine the best antibiotic ?
My pepper had an abscess in her tympanic bulla which was diagnosed on X-ray. All you could see in her ear canal was pus :(

We've also used metacam and tramadol together so may be worth asking about

I hope you can get to the bottom of it & olly starts to feel better soon

Vibes & nose rubs :love: xx

Yeah it does sound like an ear infection! Poor little mite! :(

So does he have a head tilt? If so, I'm guessing it's very likely to be a middle or inner ear infection so he'll defo need stronger anti-biotics as unfortunately baytril won't touch it! Could you maybe speak to your vet about getting him onto some septrin or penacillin? You could also try chlorophenical ear drops?

I know only too well what it's like for you as my little lop has a very narrow left ear and also battling an outer ear infection. Is there any way the vet would be willing to have him under GA to have a look and even clean some of the pus out as I can Imagine this is very irritable and painful!

Is he still eating pellets? As these are hard they can be painful for them to chew so it might help if you soften them slightly? Xx

Definitely going to get him some different antibiotics. I always wet his pellets, have done for a while now, as he's always had ear problems :( he only ate 4/10 this morning. But tonight I increased his metacam even more, and he's been a lot better, had his bedtime treats and been relaxing :)

Sending vibes for Olly.

I don't know if you have seen my thread in Health, but my boy Darwin is also battling a middle or inner ear infection. He's still really poorly and is on a combination of Injectable Penicillin, Metronidazole, Loxicom and Cisapride. He's quite badly tilted at the moment, but fortunately is still eating and drinking. It's so worrying x

Sending vibes for Olly. I remember the days when the only thing prescribed was Baytril but it sounds like there is a lot more choice now, hopefully one of those will work wonders for him.

Sending vibes for Darwin aswell TheThreeB's xxx

Thanks everyone. Olly now has a new antibiotic, co-trimoxazole (septrin). I am not confident that he's going to take it, as it smells quite strong. He had his baytril soaked into some dry bread, but this smells much stronger... he has also had treatment for mites, as he has been biting himself a lot and has some bare patches above his tail :( he has been so itchy and uncomfortable, with that and his ears :( really hope he feels better soon. Thanks for all the vibes x

Back