• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-neuter logistics - advice, please!

capable

Mama Doe
Hi all,

My 2 boys (3.5 years approx, brothers, but currently separate till post-neuter due to territorial behaviour, came to me from less than ideal circumstances) are booked in with my lovely rabbit-savvy vet to be neutered on Wednesday. They're both outdoor buns, and are currently in separate hutch/run combos. What I'm wondering is where to put them after their ops? Is it imperative that they be indoors for the night? My coldest room is the bathroom at the end of the house, or I have an outdoor store where the washing machine is, but I suppose the point of bringing them in would be to monitor them easily?

I don't have indoor cages, each of their hutches is 6ft long, and they need to still be separated, so if they came inside they'd have to be confined to their carriers. I'm also worried about compromising their lovely winter coats 😕 What do you think?

This is always the problem when we have outdoor bunnies neutered in the cold weather. The reason they need to be indoors is rabbits cannot regulate their body temperature after a GA and are at risk of becoming hyperthermic. It is very cold at the moment so the best advice is to keep them indoors overnight and return them to their hutches in the morning. This is what I would do.

Thanks tonibun! I wasn't sure about the body temperature regulation, so ta for that. I'm in NI, and it's been quite warmish for January - 8-10oC, but pretty wet. I'd be picking them up around 6pm on the Wednesday, but because I don't have suitable, secure, inside space, they'd need to stay in their carriers overnight?

I would keep them in their carriers overnight, somewhere not too hot if possible. That will mean that you can monitor them and if they seem OK the next morning, they could then go outside again.

When I had Selene spayed in late winter/early spring last year, I kept her and her group (she was part of a quad at the time) in the coldest room in the house, with the window open. They had an open dog crate and puppy panels on tarp to make a makeshift run.

I've kept post-op rabbits in dog crates before - a bit roomier than just a carrier, if that's an option for you.

Puppy pens make good indoor areas with a large cardboard hiding place and plenty of newspaper or puppy pads with hay.

Hi all,

My 2 boys (3.5 years approx, brothers, but currently separate till post-neuter due to territorial behaviour, came to me from less than ideal circumstances) are booked in with my lovely rabbit-savvy vet to be neutered on Wednesday. They're both outdoor buns, and are currently in separate hutch/run combos. What I'm wondering is where to put them after their ops? Is it imperative that they be indoors for the night? My coldest room is the bathroom at the end of the house, or I have an outdoor store where the washing machine is, but I suppose the point of bringing them in would be to monitor them easily?

I don't have indoor cages, each of their hutches is 6ft long, and they need to still be separated, so if they came inside they'd have to be confined to their carriers. I'm also worried about compromising their lovely winter coats 😕 What do you think?

Would this be feasible? Can you divide it up in some way?

I'm not sure you'd have enough room in carriers, to be honest, for their food, water and hay. Everything would get wee'd and pooed on and not so hygienic.

Back