• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bun not fairing too well since op

Our bunny had to get her spleen removed on December 21st as it was massively enlarged with part of it twisted and causing her a load of pain. She was very skinny and slightly anaemic too.

A week after the op, she seemed to look perkier and we thought all was going to be fine. Then about 3 weeks after, she still hadn't fully recovered and started to drag her legs along and couldn't hop at all.

We took her back to the vet and were told we should administer a 28 day course of Pancur (because of suspected E-cuniculi or lymphoma as mentioned by the vet) and continue with the Ranitidine 3x a day and Loxicom once a day. She has improved where she is no longer dragging her back legs along, but is very limited in her movement and sometimes we have to force her to move so her legs don't seize up completely. Most of the time she is just lying there.

Despite us feeding her more and her appetite seeming great, she is still skinny and her spine is very obvious.

She won't drink from a bottle and doesn't really touch the bowl either. We have to dunk herbs and greens into the bowl to persuade her to take in more liquid.

She pees and poops where she is sitting and her bum is stinky and dirty. We've been trying to get her cleaned up as best as we can. It's sad because she is usually a VERY clean bun. Her droppings are still tiny.

Seriously at a loss of how to move forward - just really hate seeing her like this! Any thoughts? Thanks!

Same here. I can't offer any advice but just wanted to send lots of love to you and your bunny. I hope that you get some advice by the morning. Xx

Hello :) Well I don't have an advice, but I understand how frustrated you must be. My rabbit Lucy used to be very poorly after her dentals, it's good she's eating though. Anesthesia can do a lot of bad things, my rabbit started to self mutilate her, because she wasn't feeling her leg after the surgery. She was an elder bun, so it was hard to put her through such things. We had to PTS her because she devoloped serious complications after her surgery.
Maybe your rabbit also had a bad reaction to anesthesia? Or it could still be EC. It's hard to treat it. Sending a lot of healing vibes for your bunny. I hope she recovers soon.

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Sorry to hear your bun is o unwell :(. My elderly boy has been diagnosed with ec and spends a lot of time just lying around, has also become very skinny although eating fine, and will poop where he is lying. He has had to have another round of panacur and he also had antibiotics this time. He seems a bit brighter now, in that he will at least get up at times for a short walk about.

Could it be pain? I assume the loxicom is the same as metacam? My buns have always done better on a twice daily dose.

Has your little one had antibiotics? Or it could still be the ec. It can take a while for any improvement. We had to repeat my boy's course if panacur because his symptoms got worse.

Sending loads of vibes to your little one.

I don't have any advice I'm afraid, is your vet a rabbit savvy vet? If not, then I would recommend you go to a vet experienced in rabbits, if you post on here entitled rabbit savvy vet needed in insert location, people can make recommendations for you.

Sending lots of vibes for your rabbit.

Really hope your bunny is ok. Agree with the suggestion to see a vet that's knowledgeable about rabbits as most don't know much beyond the common rabbit problems.

Our bunny had to get her spleen removed on December 21st as it was massively enlarged with part of it twisted and causing her a load of pain. She was very skinny and slightly anaemic too.

A week after the op, she seemed to look perkier and we thought all was going to be fine. Then about 3 weeks after, she still hadn't fully recovered and started to drag her legs along and couldn't hop at all.

We took her back to the vet and were told we should administer a 28 day course of Pancur (because of suspected E-cuniculi or lymphoma as mentioned by the vet) and continue with the Ranitidine 3x a day and Loxicom once a day. She has improved where she is no longer dragging her back legs along, but is very limited in her movement and sometimes we have to force her to move so her legs don't seize up completely. Most of the time she is just lying there.

Despite us feeding her more and her appetite seeming great, she is still skinny and her spine is very obvious.

She won't drink from a bottle and doesn't really touch the bowl either. We have to dunk herbs and greens into the bowl to persuade her to take in more liquid.

She pees and poops where she is sitting and her bum is stinky and dirty. We've been trying to get her cleaned up as best as we can. It's sad because she is usually a VERY clean bun. Her droppings are still tiny.

Seriously at a loss of how to move forward - just really hate seeing her like this! Any thoughts? Thanks!

How is your bunny doing now? :wave:

I have just read your last PM dh :cry: and I have replied. I am so very sorry for your loss :cry:

RIP Biggest, you will always remain a very much loved friend

:cry:

I am so very sorry to hear your bunny has passed. :cry:
Gentle hugs coming your way, and comforting thoughts for you at this sad time.

Sleep well, Biggest. xxxx

Back