• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What breed is my rabbit?

edward

Young Bun
Hello , I really want to know what breed my rabbit is, as I'm quite new to owning rabbits I came here to ask for some help. When I got Edward the lady he was a lop mix, is it possible to distinguish what other breeds he has in him? I have realised that he has slightly longer ears than a normal lop, could his mean he is some what related to a English lop?

Edward is almost 6 months old and he's a male.
Here are some pictures.

Last edited:
He's a mix,looks like a tri coloured lop,but as you say his ears are a bit longer .My bridge boy was a tri coloured lop but his ears were shorter. He's gorgeous no matter what his mix.:love:

He's probably not specific breeds crossed (at least not recently in his family tree), more that he's not a specific breed of lop. He looks like the type you often find in pet shops - cute and fluffy but not conforming to a particular breed standard. His face shape is more dwarf than mini, what's his weight? Confusingly dwarf lops are the bigger of the two.

What a beautiful tricolour boy Edward is. I have a tri dwarf lop boy called Erasmus and he's the sweetest thing. :love:

With lops, it's more weight-based. (Mini being the smallest, then Dwarf, German, English, and French the biggest, I believe? Of the 'main' lop breeds - there are more.) I'd say Edward is probably a dwarf lop, with maybe some French or German lop in his history - his ears don't look very 'English' lop to me. Like Tamsin said, he doesn't appear to have been bred to any breed specification; he's just a lovely lop boy.

He's probably not specific breeds crossed (at least not recently in his family tree), more that he's not a specific breed of lop. He looks like the type you often find in pet shops - cute and fluffy but not conforming to a particular breed standard. His face shape is more dwarf than mini, what's his weight? Confusingly dwarf lops are the bigger of the two.

Do dwarf lops have more pointy faces than mini lops?

He has been weighed 2 weeks ago and he weighs 1.34 kg or 3lbs. But I think he has gained weight and I'm estimating he is maybe around 1.5kg or 3.3 lbs..

Do dwarf lops have more pointy faces than mini lops?

More so in pet shop bred ones. Where dwarf lop size tends to be paired with an actual nose and ears around 1-2" below the chin. Where as mini lop have heads that look square and basically no nose from the side. Most of what we call dwarf lop on the forum standards wise have too much of a nose - which personally I think is a good thing! :lol: I prefer rabbit shaped rather than walked nose first into a wall!

More so in pet shop bred ones. Where dwarf lop size tends to be paired with an actual nose and ears around 1-2" below the chin. Where as mini lop have heads that look square and basically no nose from the side. Most of what we call dwarf lop on the forum standards wise have too much of a nose - which personally I think is a good thing! :lol: I prefer rabbit shaped rather than walked nose first into a wall![/QUOTE]

Yes :lol:

Awwwwwwwwww what a lovely lovely lop earred rabbit. I had a mini tricoloured lop and have a bit of a soft spot for them (rip Mottle).

I think he's probably a mix of breeds but probably closest to a dwarf lop. Definitely not an English lop, his ears do look long but he may grow in to them some more

Back