• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Decided to replace the kennel run

catherine09

Mama Doe
And I feel so much better now the decision has been made.

I am a terrible worrier and despite having a lovely kennel with 16g mesh I constantly worry that it's weak enough for a fox to get into, that it will be able to rip off the mesh etc etc. My anxiety over it has got so bad lately that I've been waking up multiple times a night hearing noises and panicking a fox is breaking in.

The wood parts are starting to show their age also, and althoughOH has put some extra screws in it's made my anxiety worse.

So I've decided to replace the run part of my kennel with galvanised panels, like you get in parrot aviaries. I'm hoping it will massively reduce my anxiety as they are very very strong and cannot be weakened by the weather, age etc. Then around the bottom I will put Perspex about 1ft high just to make sure nothing can get its paw through (although I am getting 1" by 1/2" wire so I don't think they could anyway. Ive only ever seen a fox around here once over 3 years ago but still paranoid.

It's expensive but I really think it will be so much safer for them. Plus it will let a lot more light in as the current one is boarded up with wood 1ft high. Plus as they are really long lasting they should last 20 years plus and are modular so hopefully save money in the long run.

http://https://www.weld-mesh.com/animal-cages/aviary?view=products

Omg for a run in mesh the same size as my wood and wire one, it would cost £477
I think I need to start my own business

It is so expensive to get things made. I was determined to make my own run but found it incredibly hard and stressful so am going to pay to get it done for me. Good for you making your own.

They're expensive (although to replace the kennel is going to cost about £450 all delivered so not as much as I thought) but even though treating the wood on the kennel and my seperate run, they've still only lasted 4/5 years and they weren't cheap to start with! These will be much stronger and last 30 odd years or more so it's a no brainer for me now.

When we move I can take them apart and just re assemble anew configuration

Last edited:
Catherine if you put the perspex on the inside of the run the bunnies can use it as a kickboard. Mine run around full pelt and use the solid bottom part to bounce off, much more fun the running into wire and safer.

Looks fantastic :love: I've been eyeing them up for future projects, would love to see your before and after pics when you're done!

Back