• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unneutered Female French Lop - 4.5 years

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
I have been offered a 4.5 year old female french lop. She has not been neutered. Is she too old to neuter?? Think in theory she would be a good bond for Oliver 7 year old mini lop. Just wary she has not been neutered. So worried about taking on a bun that may develop health problems very soon. Thoughts??

I have been offered a 4.5 year old female french lop. She has not been neutered. Is she too old to neuter?? Think in theory she would be a good bond for Oliver 7 year old mini lop. Just wary she has not been neutered. So worried about taking on a bun that may develop health problems very soon. Thoughts??

If she is in over-all good health and not over-weight then she is not too old to be spayed. I would want her to have a full blood profile run prior to surgery, just to check on her kidney/liver function :)

Hi Nicky :wave:

So you've been offered your frenchie :D

Would the Rescue consider neutering her before she comes to you, to save any possible anxiety/heartache?

Hi Jacks Jane and Mighty Max! Thanks for your advice, yes I have been offered a Frenchie! Not from a sanctuary, but I think she is an ex hobby breeding bunny who was only bred a couple of times. I appreciate your advice but after chatting it through hubby thinks better to go for a younger ones would hopefully mean a heathier bunny initially. He is afraid of her becoming sick so soon after poor Cody. I understand his reasons. I am getting closer to finding Olivers friend. Thanks again.

Hi Jacks Jane and Mighty Max! Thanks for your advice, yes I have been offered a Frenchie! Not from a sanctuary, but I think she is an ex hobby breeding bunny who was only bred a couple of times. I appreciate your advice but after chatting it through hubby thinks better to go for a younger ones would hopefully mean a heathier bunny initially. He is afraid of her becoming sick so soon after poor Cody. I understand his reasons. I am getting closer to finding Olivers friend. Thanks again.

You know I did have my reservations when you mentioned her age and the fact that she wasn't spayed. I really see where your hubby is coming from and he doesn't want you (or either of you) to get hurt again by a sick bunny.

It's a good process to go through though, because only by identifying those that you don't want, will you know when the one you *do* want comes along :D

Sigh, yeah I guess so. I suppose I knew that in the back of my mind. A young girl in her twenties owns her and she looks to have quite a good home so at least she is in not living in too bad a place. She does appear to care for her.

Yes Max good to rule out ones which aren't suitable. Thanks for your honesty. Much appreciated as always x

Sigh, yeah I guess so. I suppose I knew that in the back of my mind. A young girl in her twenties owns her and she looks to have quite a good home so at least she is in not living in too bad a place. She does appear to care for her.

Yes Max good to rule out ones which aren't suitable. Thanks for your honesty. Much appreciated as always x

It's difficult. Don't let me put you off if on reflection it really seems like the best thing to do.
But with bunnies, nothing seems quite so straight forward as it first appears.

I think they are put on this earth to challenge us :lol:

No no don't worry, u haven't I know deep down she isn't right for us, like I said I prefer u being honest. Yes bunnies certainly do provide a challenge lol

Back