• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit base

Lilymac

New Kit
If you haven't read my introduction post let me just explain that I'm really new to this and haven't gotten my bunny yet, so I'm researching as much as possible.

I've decided it'll be an indoor bunny, mainly because my garden is small and quite open so there's too much chance of him escaping. However, I previously purchased an indoor cage on recommendation from the pet shop (it's about 120cm) but after reading loads on here it's obviously not big enough so I intended to build "something".
I've been looking at the dog crate examples and they are truly amazing, but I'm just wondering if it's possible to attach two together, one on top of the other? As I'd like to make quite a tall one with a few tiers. I've seen the nic panels and they look fab but I'm struggling to find them and when I do they work out to be so expensive for what I'd need.

Just to clarify, this will only be it's Base, when I'm home it will have free reign of the room (I'm a stay at home mom/distance learning student so I'm home 95% of the time!) but I'd need somewhere big enough for him at night when I'm asleep, just so he can't hurt himself or get up to any mischief.

I've tried searching for the answer but I'm making myself dizzy and still haven't came across what I'm looking for so I'm thinking maybe it's not possible?

Thanks for reading, sorry for the long post!

We used a dog cage and puppy pen to create a bunny space, our original idea was to bunny proof the room, but one of ours is such a determined chewer that free range is only allowed when supervised.
To actually answer your question, I haven't seen two tier dog cage combination on here, I think the concern would be lack of room for the bun to move around
Good luck with working out a solution [emoji6]

I used this pen attached to my girls two tier indoor hutch (the hutch was never shut).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...qid=1485289421&sr=8-4&keywords=puppy+play+pen

This is their indoor cage
http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rabbit_cage/100_cm_cages/284438

This was their old set up (bad picture).

6f9664d5f578138376971da2217ae862.jpg

They now have their own bedroom.

It might also be worth looking at Manor Pet Housing and Boyles Pet Housing for indoor cages/run ideas as they can make bespoke to fit a certain area.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you :)
I was actually thinking to myself earlier that I'm probably not finding anything because it's unlikely to be a good idea :D for a start it would be hugely tall, plus joining them probably can't be done safely.
We will have some sort of large play area/run that they can access 24/7 and then while I'm in I'll probably open that up so the whole room is available (though I am worrying about my sofa being eaten!) but I'm sure under supervision that will be fine.

Oh wow that's a lovely hutch. It never crossed my mind to look at indoor wooden ones :roll:
I was planning to keep them in the living room, but I'm thinking I could possibly put them under the stairs with a pen attached, they'd have about half the hallway then (it's a pretty big hallway) as that whole section doesn't lead anywhere or have any use really. Id have to do some measuring to see if it'd be enough. They'd still have supervised access in the living room.

Oh wow that's a lovely hutch. It never crossed my mind to look at indoor wooden ones :roll:
I was planning to keep them in the living room, but I'm thinking I could possibly put them under the stairs with a pen attached, they'd have about half the hallway then (it's a pretty big hallway) as that whole section doesn't lead anywhere or have any use really. Id have to do some measuring to see if it'd be enough. They'd still have supervised access in the living room.
You could put some shelves into a dog crate to increase the floor space inside there.
I like the sound of the hallway - I'm sure it'd give the plenty of room and if you're home most the time just overnight confined shouldn't be too bad.
You may find, once they're older and more trained that you won't need to confine them at all.

You could put some shelves into a dog crate to increase the floor space inside there.
I like the sound of the hallway - I'm sure it'd give the plenty of room and if you're home most the time just overnight confined shouldn't be too bad.
You may find, once they're older and more trained that you won't need to confine them at all.

I've just realised you're replying to both of my threads haha thank you for being super helpful!

I think they'd probably have more space in the hall, but I'd have to measure it all properly tomorrow. At least I have plenty of time to work it all out!

Back