• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder Stones

Linuxete

Warren Scout
Hi. My lionhead rabbit Sam was diagnosed with bladder stones. He's 5 months old, male. There appears to be 4 little stones in his bladder. He's on Baytril now. Vet suggested to wait and see, adjust his diet. He's peeing normally, no straining or anything. Drinks about 200 ml per day. I don't see much sediments in his urine, it's pale yellow now. He was eating pellets with 0.9 % calcium in them, alfalfa based, meadow hay with nettles, dried dandelion, plantain leaves and wheat grass. I got him from a breeder when he was 2 months old. He was always drinking a lot, but I thought it was because he was eating only dry food. I was wondering if someone could tell me what should I do now? How his diet should be adjusted? (I live in Lithuania, so no low calcium pellets are available in my location). Maybe someone with such health problems could share their stories? Thanks in advance.

Hi. My lionhead rabbit Sam was diagnosed with bladder stones. He's 5 months old, male. There appears to be 4 little stones in his bladder. He's on Baytril now. Vet suggested to wait and see, adjust his diet. He's peeing normally, no straining or anything. Drinks about 200 ml per day. I don't see much sediments in his urine, it's pale yellow now. He was eating pellets with 0.9 % calcium in them, alfalfa based, meadow hay with nettles, dried dandelion, plantain leaves and wheat grass. I got him from a breeder when he was 2 months old. He was always drinking a lot, but I thought it was because he was eating only dry food. I was wondering if someone could tell me what should I do now? How his diet should be adjusted? (I live in Lithuania, so no low calcium pellets are available in my location). Maybe someone with such health problems could share their stories? Thanks in advance.

Hi there :wave:

So sorry to hear your rabbit has kidney stones at such a young age ....

There's some really invaluable info in these links which you may find useful :

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...t-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease/view

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...-sheet-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

The vet (retired) who wrote those articles doesn't ever recommend feeding pellets to rabbits as they are concentrated and contain lots of calcium. Veggies, grass and forage contain a lot of moisture, which is essential to make sure any bladder sludge accumulating will pass through easily.

Wishing you loads of luck xx

Last edited:
Thank you MightyMax! ;)

Well, his kidneys are free from stones, there in his bladder. I was also shocked to hear about this, because he's so young. But I guess it's genetic problem.

Thanks for the information, it's very helpful.

I know pellets aren't good for them, but he's still very young and I wouldn't like him to develop any malnutrition problems if I'm going to cut them out completely. He loves eating his hay a lot more then he eats his pellets, so I'm going to give him just a few pellets to see how it goes, he drinks a lot, so no problems with his water intake. Thanks again for such a quick response ;)

Thank you MightyMax! ;)

Well, his kidneys are free from stones, there in his bladder. I was also shocked to hear about this, because he's so young. But I guess it's genetic problem.

Thanks for the information, it's very helpful.

I know pellets aren't good for them, but he's still very young and I wouldn't like him to develop any malnutrition problems if I'm going to cut them out completely. He loves eating his hay a lot more then he eats his pellets, so I'm going to give him just a few pellets to see how it goes, he drinks a lot, so no problems with his water intake. Thanks again for such a quick response ;)

You are really welcome :D

Would it be a possibility of ordering some very low calcium/high fibre pellets and getting them shipped in to you for him?

(thank you - I read bladder stones and wrote kidney stones!! xx)

My late Amigo had to go for emergency for what the vet felt were multiple small bladder stones and an infection. He was given batril for the infection and had surgery. Instead of finding several bladder stones, the vet found a single stone that had multiple points that were irritating his bladder. The vet called it a jack stone. It was suggested that the stone may have been caused by the infection. He never had any more stones and he lived to be over 14 years old.
If your bunny's diet has less vegetables and moisture in the food, he will drink more. Humidity and temperature also will impact their drinking too. Some bunnies normally drink more than others so I only worry if there is a change for no reason in an individual's drinking habits.

He was drinking a lot ever since I got him, so I guess it's his natural behavior. How old was your Amigo when he was diagnosed? What kind of symptoms he was showing? Did you changed his diet after the surgery? Thanks in advance.

This is a good page to see which foods are low in calcium (you want to feed more of the 'poor calcium providers') and avoid the good calcium providers.
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm
My bunny died during an operation to remove bladder stones a few weeks ago (still devastated) :'( His symptoms were urinating little and often, outside of his litter tray, drinking less, and a bit of weight loss :( He was a senior bun. I hope your rabbit gets better soon x

He was drinking a lot ever since I got him, so I guess it's his natural behavior. How old was your Amigo when he was diagnosed? What kind of symptoms he was showing? Did you changed his diet after the surgery? Thanks in advance.

One thing you *can* change is the water he drinks :D

It's been shown (with my rabbits and urine tests) that changing the water does make a difference. There are some 'low calcium' waters out there. I believe SarahP used one - I can't remember which but you could ping her a PM to ask? :)

elaine84, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my beloved Lucy last summer, she had to be PTS after dental surgery complications. She was 8. So I know exactly how you feel. Sam is my second rabbit, he's so young, but already developing such health problems.
He's not feeling very well, he stays hunched in the corner most of his day. He's eating very little, still producing poops, peeing with no problems in his litter box. Drinks about the same amount of water as usual. I'm really worried about him. I was thinking about surgery, but I'm not sure he could make it, he's only 5 months, plus our vets aren't experienced in rabbits.
He's not improving after Baytril, so I'm not sure what should I do next?

MightyMax, what do you mean by changing water? I give him water from my tap and heat it. I also heard about liquid magnesium. Maybe you know something about that? It is said that it can prevent stones from forming. Thanks in advance.

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

elaine84, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my beloved Lucy last summer, she had to be PTS after dental surgery complications. She was 8. So I know exactly how you feel. Sam is my second rabbit, he's so young, but already developing such health problems.
He's not feeling very well, he stays hunched in the corner most of his day. He's eating very little, still producing poops, peeing with no problems in his litter box. Drinks about the same amount of water as usual. I'm really worried about him. I was thinking about surgery, but I'm not sure he could make it, he's only 5 months, plus our vets aren't experienced in rabbits.
He's not improving after Baytril, so I'm not sure what should I do next?

MightyMax, what do you mean by changing water? I give him water from my tap and heat it. I also heard about liquid magnesium. Maybe you know something about that? It is said that it can prevent stones from forming. Thanks in advance.

I don't mean adding anything to the water, just taking it away! The water where I live is high in calcium, and if your bunny drinks a lot then they are ingesting a lot of calcium in the water alone.

I have a filter so it doesn't affect us, and maybe it doesn't affect you either? The calcium is filtered out of my water.

But perhaps if it's something that interests you, you could find out and investigate a bit further!

Just one more thing we do for your lovely bunnies :love:

MightyMax, well I'm going to try using filtered water as you suggested. I guess it can't hurt. So, thanks again.

MightyMax, I know you weren't suggesting to put anything in the water! :-D I was just wondering about this liquid magnesium. Maybe you've heard of it?

MightyMax, I know you weren't suggesting to put anything in the water! :-D I was just wondering about this liquid magnesium. Maybe you've heard of it?

:D

Yes I know of liquid magnesium, but I would be wary of adding stuff like that unless there's a proven deficiency. You can sometimes cause things you didn't intend to by unbalancing minerals in the body. With the best of intentions :wave:

Yeah, I'm aware of what it can cause to a rabbit if not needed.
I was asking about this, because he seems to start enjoying his mineral block which he never used to do before. Also his urine is very diluted, pale yellow in color and basically has no sediments. No blood, no straining. He flops and does his binkies like there's nothing wrong with him. But still has very poor appetite. He eats hay though and tries to chew non edible stuff.

I had three bunnies who developed bladder stones and all has successful surgeries. I previously mentioned Amigo who had the jack stone (it had points all over the surface that were obviously hurting him) when he was about seven years old. He had very small flecks of blood in his urine and seemed to be straining. He had an infection too. He passed away when he was over 14 years old and never had any symptoms. Prior to that I had Chinnie who had straining and a couple flecks of blood, when he was about three years old. He lived seven years without a recurrence after his stone was remove. Dancer also had a bladder stone removed. It was larger and was causing her to strain. She also had antibiotics following the surgery. I wonder if removing the stones when the bunnies were healthy enough to handle surgery helped to clear the infection since the bacteria could not be hiding in the surface of the stone. I know the bunnies were more comfortable, especially Amigo.

I wonder if it is possible for a urinary tract/bladder infection to spread to the kidneys.

I had three bunnies who developed bladder stones and all has successful surgeries. I previously mentioned Amigo who had the jack stone (it had points all over the surface that were obviously hurting him) when he was about seven years old. He had very small flecks of blood in his urine and seemed to be straining. He had an infection too. He passed away when he was over 14 years old and never had any symptoms. Prior to that I had Chinnie who had straining and a couple flecks of blood, when he was about three years old. He lived seven years without a recurrence after his stone was remove. Dancer also had a bladder stone removed. It was larger and was causing her to strain. She also had antibiotics following the surgery. I wonder if removing the stones when the bunnies were healthy enough to handle surgery helped to clear the infection since the bacteria could not be hiding in the surface of the stone. I know the bunnies were more comfortable, especially Amigo.

I wonder if it is possible for a urinary tract/bladder infection to spread to the kidneys.

Yes it is :)

I thought I heard it before and now that you confirmed this could become a kidney problem, I would be even more inclined to make sure the infection is treated as aggressively as the health of the bunny allows.

Yes, good point :)

A kidney infection is enormously painful

Well, little Sam wasn't eating almost anything, so I took him to a vet. They gave him Rapidexon and Ketoprofen injections. He started eating again. Though seems to be sleepy. I don't know what should I be doing next? Maybe someone could give me an advice?

Back