• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very bony, but no further weight loss

weedug

Mama Doe
Hoping someone can give some thoughts on the cause. Bubble is 11 and was diagnosed with ec. He is on his second treatment. No head tilt. Bloods didn't show anything except ec. He had lost a lot of weight over a number of months, 3kg down to 2.6. He now seems to stay steady at 2.7 but feels really bony. The vet is baffled because there isn't further weight lose but he seems to be getting more and more bony.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I am really worried about him.

Muscle and fat weigh different amounts, so it could be he's losing one and gaining a bit of the other so feels different but weighs the same.

Have you tried any changes to his diet? Increasing protein and fat may help - so all the things you usually avoid like higher protein pellets, alfalfa, porridge oats etc. gentle exercise is good too :)

Could your bunny be eating less due to dental issues that cannot be seen during a normal exam? Is your bunny getting adequate exercise to maintain his muscle mass? I had a bunny who became disabled and half of him looked normal and the other half was bony due to loss of muscle from not being able to use one of his hind legs

Thank you everyone for replying :). He is definitely eating the food, in fact he is having about 3 times the amount just to keep his weight steady :shock:.

He has the same chance to exercise as always but does tend to spend almost all of his time lying on my dog's bed for some reason. He still isn't coping with finding his way around since he lost his sight :(. I assume he likes the bed because it's the only really soft thing in the room so he can tell where he is. Or maybe it's just the softness. The room layout hasn't changed for years but he still seems lost :(.

He also tends to be wobbly in his feet now. No idea if it is muscle loss or the ec causing that. I will try the oats and alfalfa and see if that will help him.

Is he on standard food still? If so swapping to a junior version will up protein/calories without having to eat as much extra volume. With his age, it might be worth discussing the possibility of arthritis with the vet and maybe trying some metacam to see if that improves his activity levels and movement. You could try a piece of vet bed, perhaps laid out in front of the dog bed.

Another option you could try if you think navigating the room is a problem would be some specific routes to important places. You might have to experiment but tunnels could work or maybe even just a 1" tall strip of cardboard taped to floor he can keep to one side of him and follow to get to a litter tray or bowl etc.

Thanks for replying again Tasmin. I should have said, Bubble is on metacam and tramadol twice a day for eye ulcer pain so I assume any arthritis would be covered by that.

He has rabbit royale or his food because he choked on science selective. He gets a little extra of it at night, has profibre at lunchtime with some grass and dandelions, and has dried apple leaves or similar during the day.

He doesn't use his tunnel any more, but I could try the cardboard in some areas. I have an elderly dog with mobility problems who has strokes so have to keep the usual pathways around the house clear. I have a mat with vetbed on top but he isn't too keen on lying there.

Aww, yes, I would think that would cover arthritis. I wonder is tramadol might be making him sleeper than normal too.

It would be fine to soak dry food if choking was a worry - it's the grass/hay that wears teeth not hard food. I think the rabbit royal is quite a healthy option so you might find something like excel junior (if you prefer over SS) would give you more protein/fat. You can make quite a gross looking but tasty mash with porridge oats and pellets soaked in water and stirred together. It looks like green sludge but most bunnies like it and it's good for weight gain, particularly if you use high protein pellets.

Afraid I cannot help, but can sympathise as am going through the same with Clyde. He's down to 1.03kg��
Sending you both get well vibes and positive thoughts X

I've had this with truffle just recently too. Down from just over a kilogram to 0.6 kg at the lowest. She's put a bit back on now though. She's nearly 8 nd has had ec in the past. We've done bloods, x rays and ultrasounds and found nothing wrong.

I'm also sending positive vibes. My boy has EC and has lost Just under a kg. Maybe we should start a weight gain thread in rabbit chat? We could offer each other support + tips on their weight loss/gain?

Thanks for the replies. Sorry to hear so many other little buns are losing weight :(.

Very oddly, on my scales Bubble has put on a little bit of weight, but feels bonier than ever. Even more oddly, he seems skinnier in the evenings :?. We have the vet again on Wednesday, so hopefully that won't set his tummy back again. Right now he is off the gut meds and producing lovely golden poops. Maybe the vet can tell me what is happening, although last visit he seemed stumped.

Just came across your thread whilst I was searching for weight loss. I hope it improved soon.

I have just weighed Cassie and she has gone from 2.4 to 2kg. I know she has been off her food a bit when I give her a weekly tablet so thinking this might have contributed but will keep a close eye on her an sneak some extra treats for a week or so to see if it is that. She had x-rays done for something else late last year but they were clear.

Back