• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Found a g/f for Gandalf but one concern.

PaulJD

Young Bun
Hi all,

Our little Mini Rex Gandalf is now over a month into having had the snip and will be 6 months old 2nd Feb and he seems to be better from his sneezing issues now so we thought it time to find him a girlfriend.

We found a little 5 month old rescue who's been vaccinated but hasn't been spayed yet, we've been told she won't be done until, she is 6 months old hence the problem we are facing.

A separate rescue centre that didn't have any female rescues going found one for us at another rescue centre so the plan was to get the bunny from the rescue and then pass her and our rabbit onto the other rescue to bond in a neutral place but we are now concerned that because she isn't spayed the bonding won't work or she will get aggressive?

We would love to rescue her but I will never put my bun in to any possible harm either.

What to do!

Hi all,

Our little Mini Rex Gandalf is now over a month into having had the snip and will be 6 months old 2nd Feb and he seems to be better from his sneezing issues now so we thought it time to find him a girlfriend.

We found a little 5 month old rescue who's been vaccinated but hasn't been spayed yet, we've been told she won't be done until, she is 6 months old hence the problem we are facing.

A separate rescue centre that didn't have any female rescues going found one for us at another rescue centre so the plan was to get the bunny from the rescue and then pass her and our rabbit onto the other rescue to bond in a neutral place but we are now concerned that because she isn't spayed the bonding won't work or she will get aggressive?

We would love to rescue her but I will never put my bun in to any possible harm either.

What to do!

Why not wait until she is spayed and recovered, and then go ahead with the plan?

Are you saying that both rescue females are unspayed? As the first rabbit is only 5 months old she should bond fairly easily with your rabbit but you would have to get her spayed at a later date. There shouldn't be a problem with that unless you particularly wanted to get a rabbit which is already neutered. If you like the first one I would go for her.

I agree with Zoobec.
It certainly isn't worth the risk of there being any aggression- which would spoil any possibility of future bonding.

My post was a little confusing lol! So yeah it's one 5 month old female at let's call it rescue 1, now she was found by rescue 2 who are prepared to take rescue 1's bunny and ours to bond them. we want to bond her with our 5 month old boy who has been neutered and has been for over a month now.

Our concern was also for this other little bunny being kept on sawdust and knowing that rescue 1 mainly deals with cats and aren't too clever with rabbits, so rescue 2 told us. This is where it gets complicated....

If we say we will pay the adoption fee etc we def don't want to leave her for the next month at rescue 1, I'm sure rescue 2 could look after her for us but then she would be at someone's house, the same house that they would be bonding both the bunnies at, I'm just hoping there can still be a neutral area for them if we can get her to rescue 2.

So trying to bond an unspayed girl with a neutered boy isn't worth doing right? I hope all this makes sense!

Sorry tonibun I just reread your message, you seem to think it shouldn't be a problem? Her not being spayed?

My post was a little confusing lol! So yeah it's one 5 month old female at let's call it rescue 1, now she was found by rescue 2 who are prepared to take rescue 1's bunny and ours to bond them. we want to bond her with our 5 month old boy who has been neutered and has been for over a month now.

Our concern was also for this other little bunny being kept on sawdust and knowing that rescue 1 mainly deals with cats and aren't too clever with rabbits, so rescue 2 told us. This is where it gets complicated....

If we say we will pay the adoption fee etc we def don't want to leave her for the next month at rescue 1, I'm sure rescue 2 could look after her for us but then she would be at someone's house, the same house that they would be bonding both the bunnies at, I'm just hoping there can still be a neutral area for them if we can get her to rescue 2.

So trying to bond an unspayed girl with a neutered boy isn't worth doing right? I hope all this makes sense!

You'll get different viewpoints depending upon peoples' experiences!

There's nothing wrong with bonding an unspayed female with a castrated male. You'll just have to (possibly) separate them when she is spayed for a week or two. It depends if you want to wait for her etc ... or have her now and spay her later x

Hi, I bonded a young unspayed female with a neutered male, then when she was old enough I had her spayed and just kept her apart for a bit to recover but then put her back with the boy. It was fine. Can't remember how long they were apart but only a couple of days I think.
good luck!

So it turns out little Miss buttons was actually a little Mr buttons.........so disappointed! Back to the search!

Fingers crossed!

Hi all,

So today we went to look at a 6 month old mini Rex seal doe and she is beautiful, small even for a mini Rex but she needs a good home so fingers crossed her and Gandalf bond!

Our one issue and one I was hoping to get some feedback from you all is that due to waiting for her jabs and to be neutered we are going to have to keep her in the spare room and then the hallway for a run while Gandalf has the living room.

Then the plan is to give them both to our rescue to have them bonded. Now Isi this a good idea? They won't be able to get to each other maybe possibly see each other but no contact, will this hamper any possible bond they might have?

Thanks!

I can imagine how beautiful she is from your description :love:

I really can't see any problem with your plans. The important thing is that there will be no contact and that the rescue is going to attempt the bond on neutral ground. So you will get her jabs done and arrange for the spay to be carried out?

Sending loads of vibes for everything to work out well. They would make a very lovely couple.

I can imagine how beautiful she is from your description :love:

I really can't see any problem with your plans. The important thing is that there will be no contact and that the rescue is going to attempt the bond on neutral ground. So you will get her jabs done and arrange for the spay to be carried out?

Sending loads of vibes for everything to work out well. They would make a very lovely couple.

Thanks for the kind words Omi! And I lied she is actually a smoke pearl! I'm still learning my bunny colours, so yes we were going to get her jabs done asap and then the spay as soon as she is ready after the jabs. We are just praying they get on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Omi! And I lied she is actually a smoke pearl! I'm still learning my bunny colours, so yes we were going to get her jabs done asap and then the spay as soon as she is ready after the jabs. We are just praying they get on.

I have to look up the colours still :lol: Smoke pearl will be equally as lovely :love:

When do you bring her home?

I have to look up the colours still :lol: Smoke pearl will be equally as lovely :love:

When do you bring her home?

She is being picked up Friday evening then straight to the vets Saturday morning for jabs and then a quiet stress free weekend for her! I'll get some pictures uploaded of her. :)

Good luck with it all. I have to say, from my bonding experience, letting them see each other and get used to their smell is actually a good thing before bonding, just as long as they can't fight. I let mine 'talk' through mesh for a while and it worked.
I have 2 mini Rexs, they are gorgeous. I had a grey one once, beautiful,

Back