• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaving ill pets overnight

weedug

Mama Doe
Bubble (bunny) and my dog, Lucky, are elderly now and have been unwell for some time now. My daughter, who has special needs and masses of health problems, would love to go to a show which would mean we will be away overnight. I am struggling to work out how it can be done and have the pets looked after properly. I'm totally torn between telling her we need to stay here, and wanting to take her because it's not good for her to have her life even more restricted that it already is.

Anyone any ideas how I can keep everyone happy? Bubble is now blind and I feel he may panic being in a strange place. I don't have anyone competent enough to give all the medicines they need.

Last edited:
I'd look for local dog sitters who can look after them in their own home.
Meet each of them in person before hand and quiz them. Check if they're able to give the required medications etc.
This is the best solution I can think of as it means your blind dog will not need to have a change in environment.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'd look for local dog sitters who can look after them in their own home.
Meet each of them in person before hand and quiz them. Check if they're able to give the required medications etc.
This is the best solution I can think of as it means your blind dog will not need to have a change in environment.

Thank you. I had wondered about doing this. Lucky has separation anxiety too, so it would be nice to have someone at least pop in and out.

TBH, I feel bad about leaving them when they are so reliant on me, but I feel bad for daughter not getting her treat in what has been a terrible time for her.

Just a thought, do you have a good local vet ? Would one of the nurses be able to pop in and administer the drugs, and check on them, for a small charge ? If only you were nearer, I would try and help you out.

Thank you. I had wondered about doing this. Lucky has separation anxiety too, so it would be nice to have someone at least pop in and out.

TBH, I feel bad about leaving them when they are so reliant on me, but I feel bad for daughter not getting her treat in what has been a terrible time for her.
Some offer live in. So they'd stay in your home for the whole time you're away. This may be better for a dog suffering with separation anxiety as at least then someone would be there. Which is better than no-one?

Back