• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My First Dwarf Bunny Set Up

Hi to all again !!!
After research , mainly in Rabbits United , and some very useful advices in this forum , thanks for that, I decided to make DIY pen about 3x5 m . But I am not sure how high should be to prevent bunny escape .And because she will be Dwarf rabbit I think that 75cm/2.5feet will be fine ?!?!
Any help will be grateful !!!
Thank you in advance !!!

Are you making the pen 3mx5m which is about 9ftx16ft? That will be great :thumb: I would go for 4ft high as they do jump and can also make a good attempt at climbing! I had a 10ft x 17ft aviary style run outside, and one of my little buns used to climb about 3ft vertically up the mesh before flipping himself off :shock:

Our outdoor run was 3ft and the girls would binkie and hit the roof. (Mini & dwarf lop).

I'd go for a 4ft high just to be safe.

eta: 4ft was the height of our indoor puppy pen when they lived in the front room and they never jumped over it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have found 2.5 ft keeps most bunnies in, but occasionally one will jump over. They have amazing strength in their back legs.

Is it an indoor or outdoor setup? If outdoor it would need a roof on it anyway to protect from predators as well as bunny escape. Either way I think I'd make it a bit higher, at least 3ft, or maybe more if it's indoors without a roof and you are likely to have boxes / hides in the pen that they can jump on top of and use as a platform to escape!

I had mini lops. When they were young, they could hop over a two and a half foot panel with no problem. Straight out. Boinnnggg! Matthew could still do that when he was six or seven years old. But most of the time they chose to stay in their own compounds.

Little bunnies are much boingier than bigger breeds and may well be able to clear 75cm, especially when they are young. 4' is usually more than most rabbits will attempt and gives head space for binkies. 3' high is fairly standard puppy panel height and is ok most of the time - although if it is outside, it will need some sort of lid to stop predators getting in (cats, birds of prey, dogs, foxes, etc) whatever height the sides are.

Thank you so much for advices !!!
It is indoor setup and because I find 75 cm high dog pen panels , here in Cyprus is not a big choice , I was thinking that is ok but now I will need to find something higher !!!
Thanks again !!!

If it's indoors, there won't be the same risk from predators or escaping. If they do get out, they won't go so far but could cause damage eg by chewing wires. You can also increase the height in different ways - even cardboard from thick boxes slotted along the top may be enough to deter them.

Back